Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

Outlander

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th April 2015, 04:33

Outlander

Does anybody watch the "Outlander" series on TV ? It's based on a novel and is a bit of time travel and bit of history at the time of the '45 rising. (Reminds me of an early Doctor Who with Jamie MacCrimmon etc).

Anyway, Wikipedia has this to say about part of the plot of the novel "Though Jamie is still a fugitive from the British army, he reclaims his position as Laird of Lallybroch until one of his tenants betrays him and he is taken to Wentworth Prison, where Captain Randall is stationed. Claire and the clansmen attempt a jail-break, but fail; and Claire is captured by Randall, who threatens to have her raped. Jamie offers himself in Claire's place....

Does that mean that Jamie is going to become some redcoat's bee-atch ?
Old 5th April 2015, 15:11

IMO the books are sh i te. I have tried to finish the first in the series, but have given up.....

It's a bit of a bodice ripper, not my cuppa tea
Old 6th April 2015, 13:53

I do try to like programmes with a historical Scottish setting (esp the Highlands) but when I see names like a chieftain called Colum, I think "Aye aye here we go.......It's Irish but to them near enough !". Like Conor MacLeod in Highlander. Though I like actors like Gary Lewis, when I listen to these sort of serials or movies there's also the "Funny that - in the past everyone in the Highlands sounded like Glaswegians".

I have liked TV serialised stories like "The Flight Of The Heron" by DK Broster and even the recent "Kidnapped" with Gregor Fisher and I much preferred Rob Roy to Braveheart etc.

But they mostly all suffer from the same "how the hell do you wear a féileadh-mór / breacan an fhéilidh without having to hold onto a loose hangy bit with a brooch on the end?" There must be knowing historical buffs out there who can show an actor how to wear it and look like a figure in a 17th/18th Century painting ! Just even look at the Jacobite Osprey Men-At-Arms book or J. Telfer Dunbar's book on Highland Dress and you soon see how it's done ! Sorry, I'm getting a bit preachy !
Old 7th April 2015, 13:03

Did you ever see the 1994 film"Chasing The Deer" or the 1964 Peter Watkins docu-drama "Culloden" ?

Apparently, a film about the '45, provisionally called "The Great Getaway" is being currently put together. It has a GBP 6.5m budget and so far they appear to have Peter Mullan and Brendan Gleeson. They're trying to get Kristen Stewart for Flo MacD. She should be able to bring some light-hearted jollity and witty retorts to an otherwise serious subject !
Old 7th April 2015, 13:52

The writer of that bodice ripper has admitted she had never been to Scotland before writing the first and probably more of the series nae wunner the names an ither hings ur aw wrang! Still, she's made a bonny amount o siller oan the back o nae initial knowledge

DK Broster.... Haven't even thought about those novels since reading them at school.
Old 7th April 2015, 21:27
Super Moderator

Tried to read, couldn't really 'get into' them. Watched the first episode, just to see what the hype was, decided I had better things to do with my time. (Housework comes to mind . . .)

It all seems very outlandish to me, there are better things to read! And I insist on accuracy, especially if you are going to attempt to mess with things, this story couldn't produce anything like accuracy. I got the impression it was set where it was to lure an audience, (feeble) and presented as something unique, which it wasn't (again feeble).

I have several friends who read with enjoyment, who awaited the TV show with panting bodices, (there again, if you must resort to a visual version of the story to appreciate it, then it must not have been much of a story . . .) So, all in all in my opinion, read something else, watch something else!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Old 7th April 2015, 22:57

Still, its good for Scotland's tourism.