Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th April 2011, 22:34

and on a side note... Scotland in my opinion is the most influential country of all time... Let's see how many are scratching their heads over that comment.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:49

I wrote a post which was less than kind in reply.

I deleted it, as I always try to be polite.
Old 14th April 2011, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotSites View Post
Racism is a topic that could take up a whole forum of its own: it even happens here in Scotland, between Scots... and it reared its ugly head on this forum quite a few times. So JC, I can fully understand what you are saying and its unfortunate for you if you have become a victim of it. Sandy, how can you disagree with JC's comment and then only refer to most people you know; that suggests you know (or at least know of) some people who are like that, but even if you personally are not aware of something's existance that doesn't mean it doesn't exist! As I said already, racism exists here even between supposedly fellow Scots; some people aren't aware of it and some will even deny it, but the fact is it simply does exist... and then of course there's the religious bigotry, but that's something else that could have a forum of its own!
Scotsites, my former posts were originally about American and Native American History although it took a different turn. I agreed with JC on quite a lot except the comment about most Americans thinking that all Native Americans lived in tepees. As I said before, and I guess JC's experiences are very different than mine but people I know are more intelligent than to think something like that but that I have run into some very simple minded people as I am sure everyone has; that is all.
Old 14th April 2011, 02:08

JC its no different to any other country and has the same problems...

its just more prevalent in some places than others
Old 14th April 2011, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy74 View Post
He didn't have any beer but he had Rum. Remember, he landed in the Bahamas first!! At least I think that's where Rum came from or maybe have seen Pirates of the Carribean too many times.

they never had any rum because they just landed and hadnt "discovered" it yet.....
beer was the drink of the sailors in those days
Old 14th April 2011, 03:23

Polworth... why delete it then mention it? Seems like you're still trying to prove a point.

Tig... Amen to that. I don't know why it is innate in human nature... the need to seperate ourselves... and then somehow find a way to be superior... we could all be better countries and people if we could get over that bit of nonsense... and trust me... it's very much an issue here in the US... and around the world... I want go into some of those international conflicts.

How have you been? Things seem somewhat civil for a change *wicked grin*
Old 14th April 2011, 08:37

ok Sandy, you're right (and I apologise) it is unlikely that most Americans think that, but that doesn't lessen the effects of racism that JC has experienced/witnessed.

Pol, I agree with you to a certain extent: Scotland is a great country and I for one would not even think of living anywhere else. However, it has its problems (racism, bigotry, not enough motor sport*, etc) and there is so much that could be done to improve it... I'm sure people can give a whole load of ways on how we could be better (tho changing human nature and eradicating racism (for example) is probable an impossible task)!

* one of the few sports we seem to be good at... even producing some winners in major championships in recent years!