Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th April 2011, 03:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
ye the vikings had been there loads of times....the 1st was in the 700s (i think)

when columbus arrived in "the new world" the first person he spoke to asked him if he had any beer in perfect English......he had been to Europe twice

tis true ykno
He didn't have any beer but he had Rum. Remember, he landed in the Bahamas first!! At least I think that's where Rum came from or maybe have seen Pirates of the Carribean too many times.
Old 13th April 2011, 03:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromGA View Post
I do think that the American government has not taken responsibilities for their actions against the Native Americans. The Germans admit to the Holocaust yet America cannot admit to the genocide committed against the people of this land. Even if one argues, that this started before the actual birth of America... I argue that the American government sent their soldiers out to kill/imprison men, women, children, the elderly, etc.

Europeans still write our history. In fact, most Americans think all Native Americans are related and all live in teepees (speaking from personal experience). Each tribe is so very beautiful and different, rich in culture (what has been left after assimilation). I mean how many people celebrate Thanksgiving?! I mean... they got together and had a dinner to celebrate each others company... seriously?! Even if that did happen, what was a good gesture on the part of the Native population, only led to their demise. (Many Natives believe that the Thanksgiving dinner story... is exactly that... a story... make believe) To me, celebrating Thanksgiving would be the equivalent of celebrating the first day of slavery... Anyone want to help with those festivities?! oh wait!! That would be wrong... cause you can only do that to the 'invisible minority' aka Native Americans.

With that being said, I would encourage everyone, Native or not, to learn Native culture... it's very beautiful and kind.

Now... the man who asked for beer... probably Irish... I heard a story once in Ireland that Brendan built a boat and sailed to America... being the first European to land there... which would support the beer inquiry *wink*

Brendan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree with everything you have said except the part about what Americans think about Native Americans but I know I can't change your mind. Most people I know are not so simple minded as to think that.
Old 13th April 2011, 04:00

That's fine. You don't have to agree with me. Speaking as a Native American, I can assure you that many of those stereotypes exists. Who would know better other than the Native Americans who are exposed to those idiocies? Not saying that all are like that... but the ones who are not... tend not to hang out with the ones who are. Ignorance tends to keep its own company. If what you say is true... you're not ignorant to Native American history... but perhaps a little ignorant to the poor, racist treatment that many of them suffer from.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:26

Racism is a topic that could take up a whole forum of its own: it even happens here in Scotland, between Scots... and it reared its ugly head on this forum quite a few times. So JC, I can fully understand what you are saying and its unfortunate for you if you have become a victim of it. Sandy, how can you disagree with JC's comment and then only refer to most people you know; that suggests you know (or at least know of) some people who are like that, but even if you personally are not aware of something's existance that doesn't mean it doesn't exist! As I said already, racism exists here even between supposedly fellow Scots; some people aren't aware of it and some will even deny it, but the fact is it simply does exist... and then of course there's the religious bigotry, but that's something else that could have a forum of its own!
Old 13th April 2011, 12:31

Thanks Scotsites! Yes, it does.

I do agree about racism in Scotland. It's been displayed on this forum many ways for those brave enough to recognize it for what it is. I do hope that one day, all Scots will provide a united front so that Scotland can reach its full potential and be the great country it has always been destined to be.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:39

IMO - Scotland is ALREADY a great country.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:33

It is... but I said full potential. I never said it wasn't great. You'll never have full potential until everyone comes together. We were speaking of racism... not Scotland being/not being a great country. Heck, America can't even come together... I think racism is a sad, debilitating condition.