Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th April 2011, 13:38

JC, quite a few people in Scotland are aware that Scotland is slowly pushing England down... but there's even more in England that are denying the inevitable!

On a separate point, its good to see that the ignore function works!
Old 6th April 2011, 00:30

That's right.... just keep waiting... they'll eventually drop into the ocean
Old 12th April 2011, 01:10

I'm an American and I really don't think I'm arrogant but I do know that America is older than 200 years and that there were people here before Columbus sailed the ocean blue! I do know my American History!
Old 12th April 2011, 12:07

Again, history pre-colonilization is not 'American History.' That is an invention of European colonists.... who also wrote their own version of the history of Native Americans. Native Americans today still cannot write their own history... even though it far surpasses that of the Anglo invaders. To Native Americans who were here before a few boats landed... they never heard of an "America" because there was no America.

See... even those who say they 'understand there were people here before Europeans arrive....' still at some level, see that the only thing that happened of importance here on this continent began with the arrival of Europeans. Native American history is not American history.
Old 12th April 2011, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromGA View Post
Again, history pre-colonilization is not 'American History.' That is an invention of European colonists.... who also wrote their own version of the history of Native Americans. Native Americans today still cannot write their own history... even though it far surpasses that of the Anglo invaders. To Native Americans who were here before a few boats landed... they never heard of an "America" because there was no America.

See... even those who say they 'understand there were people here before Europeans arrive....' still at some level, see that the only thing that happened of importance here on this continent began with the arrival of Europeans. Native American history is not American history.
You are right, it is Native American History. Virginia is rich in Native American History and I respect and admire their way of life and their beliefs. I also agree about the writing of Native American History. The kids here start learning about Native American History (post colonilization) in 1st or 2nd grade which I think is important. They learn about the tribes that were in VA etc.. and it does begin with the European settlers landing on our shores. What I don't like is that the textbooks tread very lightly on what really happened to the Indians when European settlers arrived and I have had to correct that with my boys. I also don't like how European explorers seem to get the credit for the discovery of America. Didn't Columbus land in the Bahamas? From what I know and I am not an expert but I have read and studied that the Vikings or sometimes called Norse were here around the end of the ice-age.
Old 13th April 2011, 00:53

ye the vikings had been there loads of times....the 1st was in the 700s (i think)

when columbus arrived in "the new world" the first person he spoke to asked him if he had any beer in perfect English......he had been to Europe twice

tis true ykno
Old 13th April 2011, 01:26

I do think that the American government has not taken responsibilities for their actions against the Native Americans. The Germans admit to the Holocaust yet America cannot admit to the genocide committed against the people of this land. Even if one argues, that this started before the actual birth of America... I argue that the American government sent their soldiers out to kill/imprison men, women, children, the elderly, etc.

Europeans still write our history. In fact, most Americans think all Native Americans are related and all live in teepees (speaking from personal experience). Each tribe is so very beautiful and different, rich in culture (what has been left after assimilation). I mean how many people celebrate Thanksgiving?! I mean... they got together and had a dinner to celebrate each others company... seriously?! Even if that did happen, what was a good gesture on the part of the Native population, only led to their demise. (Many Natives believe that the Thanksgiving dinner story... is exactly that... a story... make believe) To me, celebrating Thanksgiving would be the equivalent of celebrating the first day of slavery... Anyone want to help with those festivities?! oh wait!! That would be wrong... cause you can only do that to the 'invisible minority' aka Native Americans.

With that being said, I would encourage everyone, Native or not, to learn Native culture... it's very beautiful and kind.

Now... the man who asked for beer... probably Irish... I heard a story once in Ireland that Brendan built a boat and sailed to America... being the first European to land there... which would support the beer inquiry *wink*

Brendan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia