Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

Billy Boyd

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th October 2004, 01:25

Greetings.

As I was passing through - for I've nothing better to do on a Thursday afternoon except to eat Froot Loops and watch my dog smear her face all over the wall - I couldn't help but notice Rob's posts. I must say, they are respectfully entertaining, as in I'm respecting what you say, not poking fun.

I especially enjoy your description of Christina Aguilera. I find that the words used for your descriptions are most satirically droll.

I also admire the stating of your opinions based not on fame but on merit. I do agree with you on your given liberty to do so, no matter how unsettling it may be for those who don't exactly see eye to eye with you on the present subject.

And just because I feel typey today, I have a feeling that if Rob here were to start a "Billy-bashing thread," if Rob so chose, that anti-Billy bashers would somehow make their way to such a thread and find themselves piqued, voice their piqueness, and thus ruin the point for a Billy-bashing thread.

Kudos, Rob, kudos.

Yet, I don't quite see what's disappointing about Mr. Boyd's coming from Scotland. I do, however, hear that the midges are unreasonably bothersome.

Just sayin, is all... *continues passage through . . .*
Old 16th October 2004, 19:26

Quote:
Originally posted by QuispieMe
Greetings.

Just sayin, is all... *continues passage through . . .*
Please don't pass through too quickly. You are a breath of fresh air that is most welcome in here.

Also, please don't think I say that because you appear to aggree with much of what I have written. I say it because your own writing style suggests a well entrenched sense of humour and you have a very logical approach to the content of this thread.

I notice that you have made two posts thus far. I shall now endeavour to locate your other effort. Rest assured I shall also look forward to future posts from your good self.

Old 6th December 2004, 20:00

Wow, guys, nice vocabulary. Nice. I'm working on making my own vocabulary larger.

But, I must say that Billy Boyd is a good actor, and I like him. Did anyone see him in Master and Commander, the Far Side of the World? He's the Coxswain (the guy who steers the ship.)
Old 7th December 2004, 03:52

I haven't seen it? Have you? Someone told me he sucked in it...but others thought he was great..so I dunno. Has anybody seen it? I wanna know if I should waste my money on renting first then buying it and what not....
Old 7th January 2005, 17:56

TO: Rob_Roy_Kowalski

TO: Rob_Roy_Kowalski

Hey, btw I was just looking up random actors on the net and being a LOTR fan I was looking up all the actors. I started reading this. Billy Boyd may not have been a great actor in Master and Commander, (which he actually was totally rubbish in) BUT Peter Jackson actually asked him to put on the Scottish acccent as strong as he could without being ridiculos as he thought it added a certain amount of humour to the situation, which otherwise would have been dull.

Quote from Rob_Roy_Kowalski

"I thought he was by far the worst performer in the LOTR trilogy. He fared no better in Master and Commander, seeming equally out of place in this sojourn.

In his defence, he was badly miscast in LOTR, as his accent seemed acutely out of place in Middle-Earth."

And Rob, if you were wondering where I got that from if you buy the extended editions of the LOTR trilogy then you will find it in the appendices (I can't remember which one) which are good watching.
Old 8th January 2005, 16:26

Thats good to know there LOTRlover! I dont see how you can just stop using your accent for a movie anyway you know? Anywayz, I see your new to the forums, so welcome! I am also a lotrfanaddict......^_^ go me! But to the subject at hand....his accent was great, who knows, maybe Tolkien wanted scottish accents to begin with. Billy Boyd has been quoted to have said that hobbits and scots are alike.
Old 9th January 2005, 15:56

Thanks a lot scottishlover, but I would have hated it if all the actors had put on Scottish accents, because some are really annoying especially when you can't understand a word they are saying. Billy's and the one Jonny Depp did in 'Finding Neverland' though, are cute.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Roy_Kowalski
I'm working on the assumption that you are all teenagers, would I be correct??

Mister Boyd is no actor - and he has several films to prove it, to paraphrase Victor Mature.

Also Rob, from the sentence above I take it you are not a teenager, let alone a girl. So why are you on this forum? Actually, your posts are amusing don't go. And the other thing is Victor Mature is dead and would not have been able to see Billy acting in LOTR.

Victor Mature

Date of birth (location)
29 January 1915
Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Date of death (details)
4 August 1999
Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA. (leukemia)

Also, by that time Billy had only done three films and two TV series and so for Victor to have even heard of him suggests that he must have had enough of something to be noticed by Victor Mature who you apparently hold in high esteem as you have quoted him.

And (last point) in 1999 when Victor Mature died that was the last time he acted on the screen until 2001 when he did LOTR asked him if he wanted a part and Peter Jackson interviewed him personally.

At The St. Andrews theatre which were his first paying roles. He then received a call from his agent about the Lord of the Rings movies and if he would like to audition for them. He went along not expecting much, but within a few months Peter Jackson came out to Scotland to meet him and audition him personally. While rehearsing for a show he received a call from his agent who said that the part of Pippin had been offered to him if he wanted it.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0101710/