Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

One film a week

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30th December 2003, 22:07

Quote:
Isn't that worth criticizing? [/b]
Urmmmmmmmmmm.. Not really.. And honestly, the only comment I have regarding your reply is this.. ask around.. Read the other thread based on just this movie. Ask others whom have read the book and see what they think. Perhaps they are better at debating this issue with you.. Perhaps you will see.. I am not the only one who loved the ending regardless of reading the books or not. Now in saying this, this does not make us right and you wrong.. But I've not the desire to go tit-for-tat with you on this... and seeing how I can not agree with you one way or the other if the ending in the book was better, then I will just end it with the fact that I gave my review and opinion of the movie as you have given yours.

And I will end by saying.. I do honestly think, even if I had read the books.. It wouldn't have changed my mind about the ending.. I liked it.. no no.. in fact, I LOVED IT... I loved all three movies.. and NO I do not think that he is lying to us by changing the ending, nor do I see any false pretenses... Do not forget this is Fiction... how can he be lying when it's all made up anyway? I mean.. c'mon.. it's not like it was a true story.. and the facts needed to be so accurate.. It could have changed in many ways.. crist sake... Frodo could have very well be a wee girl... lmao...

Simply put, this is Hollywood.. they do as they wish.. and I think the fact that they did change the ending, it is far better then ending the movie with the same ending as in the books.. WHY you ask? lol.. well.. Look at it this way.. all the folks whom read the books now have had a wee bit of a surprise eh? lol.. I know if I had read them, I wouldn't have been so anxious to see the movies, and the fact that it ends differently I think is brilliant... simply brilliant... BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!!!!

~ Mistress ~

[Edited by Mistress on 31st December 2003 at 00:26]
Old 31st December 2003, 00:38

[i]
Ok.. now.. where was I.. Oh yes.. the other day I forgot the 4th movie.. lol.. Well after a friends suggestion a long time ago.. hehehe.. I finally seen "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" yeppie.. lol..

Ok, Ang Lee got way far fetched with the special effects.. lol.. I mean.. I was pee'ing my pants watching them scale the roofs.. lol.. It just looked so darn fake.. lmao..

I did, contrary to the above statement, enjoy the movie very much. It is one that I would watch again. I also loved when Li Mu Bai was fighting that Jade Fox chick.. lol.. But Yu Shu Lien was of course my favourite in the movie.. How awesome would it be to be able to fight like that.. lmao..

Anyhoo.. I just rented "Tomb Raider-Cradle of Life" I liked the first one.. so lets see... and I also got "The Order" with yummy.. lol.. Heath Ledger.. where he plays a priest.. yeah as if thats gonna be believable.. lmao..

So.. seeing how Im not feelin all that well this evening.. Im gonna get cozy under a blankie with my girls.. and watch them.. and I'll post my reviews tomorrow.. lol.. Nite!

~ Mistress ~

Old 31st December 2003, 00:40

Hi all

Over the Christmas holiday I saw a couple of rentals.

Assasination Tango with Robert Duvall. It was ok, not great. He is an assasin for hire and has to go to Argentina to do a JOB. I don't really recommend it unless you have absolutely nothing else to rent

Also saw The Italian Job, now that was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it sooo much that I am going to buy myself a copy. It definitely gets an A from me.

I saw Kill Bill when it first came out and I also thought it was funny(i don't think this was supposed to be a chick flick, but it sure seemed like it to me ). I kinda new what to expect as to all the gory detail and heads flying here and arms flying there All in all I did like it. Can't wait for the second installment. I understand there are to be about five of them

Bought the Santa Clause 2 as a present to my mom but I haven't seen it yet and I haven't gotten around to watching the LOTR

Well thats it for now. Have a Happy New Years everyone.
Old 31st December 2003, 03:32

If you're suggesting that it isn't possible to disagree respectfully, then I take issue with that suggestion.

I am sure you do my friend you seem to have many issues to take.. I am afraid I have decided not to debate with you, (maybe its because I am so touchy) respectfully or in any other way.. all I ask you to be is aware of taking such strong issues with someones judgement you dont even know... I just dont think its very polite.. you are of course both right..and wrong..depending on perspectives.. and you are of course also as free as a bird to rant away till your fingers grow blisters.
Old 31st December 2003, 05:56

hallo all

hallo everone, I thought I'd invite myself over to this thread since I watch movies ALL THE TIME, as my bst friend is a total cinema geek.
Most recently I saw THE LORD OF THE RINGS, which I loved, of course. solid A+ from me. I read the books, twice in fact, and although I was disappointed that they cut out the book ending when they return to the shire,it made sense. The movie was already bloody 3 and a half hours long! Maybe they will have that ending on the DVD when it comes.

MONA LISA SMILE, a B+, maybe. It was cute enough, but if you consider the cast I think it could have been much better. It was really REALLY slow in places.

ELF, very funny. Utterly predictable, but utterly hysterical. I'd give it an A. As far as holiday movies that children and adults can enjoy, Elf is a rare gem.

LIZA
Old 31st December 2003, 15:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistress

[/i]Well I am glad that you enjoyed the movie as well.. It would seem all the people I've spoken to Loved it. I am not too sure about the books ending, and honestly.. I still don't think it would change my mind. Have you read the books yourself?[/i]

the original Italian job... brilliant.. loved the ending ..caine was superb...A

I've not seen the Original version.. but I do remember a friend telling me of it Perhaps I will rent that one too. Have you seen the 2003 Version? I am curious to know if you think they are that much different...
Lol..yes mistress I have read the books twice now in my lifetime, though it was a few years ago now since the last time and like liza81 said its very possible the DVD will have the original ending in it..or not...but honestly..who cares.. it is what it is...

yes you should rent both versions really...the principle is the same though they really are two different films.. but i would say the original was better because it was funny... and the recent one was also very good..with its big stunts and explosions..yaaay...

oh and I do hope you did not end up strangling yourself watching..Tomb Raider-Cradle of Life.. cause boy did i regret going to see that one....sheesh
Old 31st December 2003, 16:45

Re: hallo all

Quote:
Originally posted by liza81
hallo everone, I thought I'd invite myself over to this thread since I watch movies ALL THE TIME, as my bst friend is a total cinema geek.
Most recently I saw THE LORD OF THE RINGS, which I loved, of course. solid A+ from me. I read the books, twice in fact, and although I was disappointed that they cut out the book ending when they return to the shire,it made sense. The movie was already bloody 3 and a half hours long! Maybe they will have that ending on the DVD when it comes.

MONA LISA SMILE, a B+, maybe. It was cute enough, but if you consider the cast I think it could have been much better. It was really REALLY slow in places.

ELF, very funny. Utterly predictable, but utterly hysterical. I'd give it an A. As far as holiday movies that children and adults can enjoy, Elf is a rare gem.

LIZA
Welcome Liza81

ermmm... Funny thing.. I meant to see Elf like 10 times.. and just didnt'.. I heard it was funny.. I seen Santa2 and that was cute.. but Holiday movies to me are more for rental.. heheh..

I planned on Seeing Mona Lisa Smile.. the cast itself seemed top notch for the "who's who" in Hollywood now.. however, I think based on your review.. lol.. I'll wait to rent.. lol

So.. you've seen and read the Books for LOTR.. Well I am glad then that you enjoyed the ending.. I am also soooooo sure that with 5 hours of extra footage, and 12 alternative endings to choose from, the books ending will be on the DVD.. lol..

Happie New Year to you All~

~ Mistress ~