Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

One film a week

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2003, 13:20

Quote:
Originally posted by victorrey
Sounds good talk but don't give anything away. I'm up for that.

Gothica: I kind of ruined this one for my self. A big part of this movie is the being scared, and jumping. Instead I sat there analyzing it. I will say I thought the acting in this was really good. AS much as I am a Downey fan I will say when his acting has sucked it up and when it is great, and in this it was like he is in his prime. The ending I saw coming kind of early but that could have been because I was picking it apart. The worst thing in this film for me was the projectionist didn't seem to get the cropping of the film ratio right, so I kept seeing the boom mic. I would give this film an -A. I would give it more but I think there are too many leads to what is supose to be a surprise ending.

Master and comander: UG! Long, slow, and I never got really attached to any of the chacters. The only thing I liked about this film is the little details, like when we are supose to be on the boat there is always movement, not always a lot but it is there. Because of that attention I'd give this movie as high as a C+.

I think I'm going to a matinee Thursday I'll let everyone know about that one then.
WOW.... You really seen the ending coming? lol.. OMG.. lol.. I have to tell you.. I assumed that there was something with the "Big Dude" lol.. However, the reason for his demise was not seen by me. Perhaps I don't pay enough attention.. lol.. Oh and on another note... the final ending.. ie: the other "big dude" that part annoyed me totally. I did see that coming.. but it was too unrealistic for me. I also felt that the final scene when Holly was walking with the "girl" at the end.. lol.. I felt that they didn't give enough information as to what all happened. ie: wot, ya just walked away? hehehe.. and then the wee bhoy.. HUH? lol..

Well perhaps when I watch a movie I'm too busy looking for the reality in it all, when I should be looking for a broader picture.

As far as Master & Commander.. yes.. I agree with you. I felt a lot for the Doctor, He played a good part...

Ermmmm.... Wanna chat about some older movies?.. perhaps I'll put a few down, some of my favourite.. and let me know if you seen any of them.. I'm a big movie buff.. so I've seen a lot.. he he he

1. Beautiful Mind
2. I am Sam
3. (any) Lord of the Rings
4. (any) Matrix
5. Harry Potter
6. The Ring

Well there are so many, these are just a few that popped into my head today... Let me know..

~ Mistress ~
Old 12th December 2003, 11:10

Send a message via AIM to victorrey Send a message via MSN to victorrey Send a message via Yahoo to victorrey
Sorry about the long pause everyone. December is not a great emotional month for me so I have been a little out of touch.

Wow ok I've seen one in the theaters and actually quite a few on dvd this past week.

I'll start with the one in theaters.

Bad Santa
Much funnier then I thought it was going to be. I am really not much of a Thorton fan but was talking in to going to this little ditty because I wasn't paying for it. My only real problem with this movie was the amount of swearing. It is bad enough that the guy selling us the tickets felt the need to tell us there was a lot of swearing. In his words "it's a really funny movie but there is more swearing in this movie then anything I've seen this year". He wasn't joking either. You hear f**K about 50 times in the first 5 minutes. It is basically chacter establishment still it gets old. I have to say though I laughed a lot in this one. My suggestion go to a matinee while the kids are in school and check this one out. I give it a B.

ok it's 2 am here so I'm only going to talk about one of the DVD's I've seen this past week. However I think it is my favorite film made this year.

28 Days Later.
Yes it is as gross as you may have heard. And yes it is very graphic. However every little bit in this had a purpose. I know it sounds odd every little hack, every little throw up sceen was done as part of the story and is very important. I really can't say enough about this film. It is a must see and there is really no other way around that. lol see it on an empty stomache if you have to but get it. Also if you can check it out on DVD they have some interesting alternate endings there, and the making of that was just as interesting as the film itself.

Oh and Mistress I have to say, with out giving anything away big. It was the way she was drilled for info that tipped me off in Gothica.

Ok I'm off to beddie bye all. Much love and I'll talk to you soon.
Old 13th December 2003, 21:19

hi hi,

I finally made it back..lol

so lets see...

Master and Commander....not seen yet..

Gothica... not seen yet...

Love Actually....hope to never see..lol..(love movies aint my thing)

Bad Santa.... hmmm.. not seen it...maybe a DVD movie

28 Days.. Brilliant.. loved it.. own it.. love the whole apocaliptic future genre... reminded me a little of the old charlton heston classic..the Omega Man.. the late 60s and 70s was agreat era for this style of movie with all the big disaster movies...just about every concievable disaster was portrayed on film at some point during the "bedlam era".. love many of them...and like 12 Monkeys.. I think 28 days accounted itself extremly well i would give it an A..

but the best movie I have seen recently has got to be...House of a 1000 Corpses... he he he.. it was brilliant... Rob Zombie did himself proud on his writing and directorial debut.. and the ending was what won it for me..but I wont go spoiling the movie for you... I also wont give you a run down of the movie either...sufice to say that the title explains alot..lol... its dark and its gruesome..and its certainly not pretty... he he.. go see/rent/buy/steal it now!!!!... A++

[Edited by Talon on 13th December 2003 at 20:36]
Old 13th December 2003, 22:33

Funny thing... I seen your post the other day Victorrey
and I was actually shocked.. lol.. I rented 28 Days Later prior to seeing your post, and wanted to tell you all about it... In fact.. even thought it was something that I just happened upon at Blockbuster because nothing else was in.. lol.. I Loved it.. and you beat me to it.. lol..

I was unsure at first if I wanted to watch it.. so I started too... and I have to say.. I couldn't leave it! I agree with both you and Talon.. (however I could never word it as well as you both.) but the Movie was far better then I anticipated.. I was surprised ... Aye, It was on the gross side.. but still worth watching non the less... It reminded me of "Outbreak" with Dustin Hoffman.. but of course far gross'er then that movie... lol.. I did enjoy it..

I've not seen Bad Santa Dont think that I will until it comes out on DVD... and Still haven't seen Love Actually.. lmao..

The Last Samuari is out here now.. and sheeesshh.. I've not made it to see that either.. along with a few others... But I will be at the Movies on Wedesday for the Release of "Lord of the Rings - Return of the Kings" OMG.. I am freakin excited about that one.. lol..

ermmmmmmmm "House of a 1000 Corpses" lol.. Not seen that one yet.. but I trust your judgement Talon, and perhaps I will rent that one soon...
Old 13th December 2003, 22:39

Quote:
Originally posted by victorrey
Oh and Mistress I have to say, with out giving anything away big. It was the way she was drilled for info that tipped me off in Gothica.
lol.. See now that you mention it.. lol.. I see that now.. sheeshh..
Old 14th December 2003, 12:01

Send a message via AIM to victorrey Send a message via MSN to victorrey Send a message via Yahoo to victorrey
Sounds like we are all really in agreement about 28 Days Later. So to anyone reading this that hasn't seen it know that there are at least 3 of us here saying "WATCH THIS FILM".
LOL

House of a thousand Corpse's. I've heard great things and Just haven't been able to get there yet.

Last Samuri has been out for a week now I believe and I just can't make my self see it. Most of the time I don't like remakes, and anything with Tom Cruise in it is all that much more unapealing.

Anyway so tonight I saw Stuck on You.
The latest Farley Brothers movie. I liked it. Didn't love it. It was cute, and sweet, and got really kind of predictable. The acting was good, the special effects were great with out looking overdone, and it starts off great. However there are certain things that happen that just make it all that much more unbelievable. I give this film a B-.

Ok off to bed I'll see everyone tomarrow or the next day.
Old 15th December 2003, 19:57

Victorrey

So you really liked "Stuck on you".. lol..I was thinking from the trailer.. perhaps it was a bit on the silly side like "Dumb & Dumber" lol.. and that I barely made it through.. lol. Actually, now that I think on it, I may have turned it off.. lol..

Anyway.. I've a list of movies I will be getting to the Theater to see this week.. so I will have more of a reply at weeks end, hopefully.. lol..

Seems shopping for pressies is taking up much time

~ Mistress ~