Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

Scottish Romance Novels

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th July 2003, 20:14

Who reads them and who are you reading now. Any favorite authors who write them? Let's share and discuss. I am currently reading Knight Triumphant by Shannon Drake. Gives a lot of history of Scotland back in the 14th century, but there are the steamy parts too! Yum!
Old 6th August 2003, 01:14

I'm reading my first Scottish Romance novels... because a few people at this website recommended Diana Galbaldon. Man is she popular! Now that i'm reading her everyone on earth seems to have read her. The first book is Outlander, and i'm on the second book in a series that currently has 5. They are what my friend Susan would call "bodice rippers," ...and quite literally as the heroine gets her blouse ripped in the first 50 pages i think. But i've noticed men are reading this book too and enjoying it. Diana has a talent for detail and history, as well as adventure and um, erh... steamy-ness!
Old 6th August 2003, 01:33

Hi Holly! I think I know you from Piggie's penpals thread. Great to have you here!

I have been trying to get Diana Gabaldon's books, but no luck! I only live an hour from the woman and you would think I could! lol! I went on Amazon.com and they were so expensive and plus shipping! so I may have to go to the Barnes and Noble to get her books. I hear her book Outlander is the very best.

I finished my Shannon Drake, Knight Triumphant and it was excellent. Gives a lot of Scottish history as well as a very nice and hot love story!

Now I am reading The Legend by Kathleen Givens which all takes place in Scotland in the time frame of 1689. I love Scottish romance historicals. I heard that you cannot get better than Diana Gabaldon's! Keep in touch and let me know how you like it.

Old 6th August 2003, 03:16

AHHHHH!!!

I've got the solution for you! You can go to my favorite website!... It's where i got my Galbaldon books...

http://www.half.com

It's an online used bookstore (cd's and dvd's and other stuff too!). It's called half.com because most of the books are half-off or more. Some are new but discounted books. Let me see if i can get you a coupon...
Old 6th August 2003, 03:21

Okay... I can get you a $5 coupon on your first order of $10 or more... but i will need an email addy.

mine is: kilin81@hotmail.com
Old 6th August 2003, 19:25

Holly! That is very sweet of you to offer that. I will write you and give you my email addy.

My book, The Legend, by Kathleen Givens is going very well. So far nobody's bodice has been ripped! But I see it coming in the near future. She has already met her Highlander and he's a handsome one at that, of course.

hey! I didn't know that men were reading these books too! I always said they should!

Now are the Diana Gabaladon's books set in a series with the Outlander being the first? In which order are they to be read?

Thank you for giving me that website. That is really cool for me cause I live in a small town and the nearest big cities are an hour to an hour and a half to a used book store which is where I have been buying all my books. So that website would be a godsend to me!

Thanks a bunch. HOw's the artwork coming along? I am doing a commission portrait right now. See you here or in Piggie's!
Old 8th August 2003, 01:06

Diana Gabaldon

Holly! Thanks to you. I ordered from ebay half.com four Diana Gabaldon books. I got Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, The Fiery Cross, and Voyager. Not sure which order to read these books but so thankful to be able to be getting them -- thanks to you!