Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

Scottish Romance Novels

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th August 2003, 06:40

wow

I have read most of those..don't you love Julie Garwood!!!
hmmm...let me look at my personal library....Well ya know what? I will sit down tonight and write the names down for you and stuff and then I will send it to you k? I have so many books to go through...do you just want the Scot books? Or do you also want the time travel for your friend?
Old 10th August 2003, 22:40

Yes, I just love Julie Garwood! Have enjoyed her books immensely.

I am just interested in your Scot books or probably easier for you, a list of authors who write Scottish romance. I am making out a list for myself for when I go to the used book store.

I am only a few pages away from finishing my current book. Gee! I could have probably finished it last night but I had to stop so I could make sure and get up in the morning. Just when I go to put the book down, something else will come up in it to happen and then I am stuck reading it somemore. It reminds me a lot of the Karen Marie Moning series in that it is about twin brothers (Highlanders) back in 1689. One book, The Legend, is written about one twin brother and then the book, The Destiny, is written about the other brother. So it is a series. I like them when the authors make series out of them because sometimes I just don't want the book to end!
Old 11th August 2003, 01:22

Talking ha ha

I know how that is...I love series books!!! you get so use to the characters that you want them to find true love too!! we are such romantics!! ha ha Sorry I still haven't gotten around to the list yet...had to finish my book!!! ha ha
Old 11th August 2003, 01:34

I just finished my book, The Legend by Kathleen Givens! The last part of the book was classic but I won't give the ending away as you need to read it.

The back of the book says this:

Twin brothers. Two warriors. And the Highland prophecy that bound them both to battle, glory, and the two fiery women they dared to love. It's a time of portents, when a tree is split by the fiery crack of lightening foretells the history of a land. And two lovers have been chosen by destiny to make the legend come true. She is Ellen Graham, a highborn lass who swears never to marry except for passion. He is James MacCurrie, the mysterious Highlander with dark blue eyes who rescues her from the point of a sword. But the very fate that has brought them together also contrives to keep them apart. For this is also an age of brother fighting brother, when a warrior's cold will can still the warmth of his own loving heart...........

How was your book? Did you enjoy it?
Old 11th August 2003, 02:25

oooh that sounds good!!

My book was good too, but after I finished it I realized it is a series book and that was the last one!! can you believe it? now I have to go back and read the ones before it...even though I basically already know what is going to happen..grrr...
Old 11th August 2003, 03:07

I didn't know my book was a series book either, but thankfully I read the first one first! That is awful that you read the last one first!...grr! I have so many books here that I have bought at the used book store that I have had to put on hold because they are series books and I need to read the ones to go before them first! Sheesh!

So what are you going to read next?

I think I am going to read Master of the Highlands by Sue-Ellen Welfonder. The back reads like this:

No lass is less suited for the convent than strong-willed Madeline Drummond. No man is a poorer candiate for penance than hot-tempereed Iain MacLean. But Madeline is posing as a nun -- long enough to take revenge on a murderous villain. And Iain is dutifully bringing a family relic to a holy shrine -- as the price for his reckless ways. When the fiery Highlander and the fearless lady meet, pretenses are shed like lovers' clothes and vows of chastity are scorched by a single kiss. Posing as a husband and wife, the two firebrands join forces to reclaim Madeline's ancestral home. And she may soon wonder whether tis a blessing or a curse to be the one true love of the Master of the Highlands! Sigh....
Old 11th August 2003, 06:24

Wink ooohhh...steamy....

That one sounds interesting...Well I just bought two books from Wal-Mart...they dont have much of a selection but I was desperate for some reading, and they dont cost to much either!! ha ha They arent Scottish romances but I felt like some English "ton" reading!!
The first one is called Fool For Love, by Eloisa James. Here is the back...
The Woman
Lady Henrietta Maclellan longs for the romantic swirl of a London season. But as a rusticating country maiden, she has always kept her sensuous mature firmly under wraps-until she meets Simon Darby. Simon makes her want to whisper promies late at night, exchange kisses on a balcony, receive illicit love notes. So Henrietta lets her imagination soar and writes...
The Letter
A very steamy love letter that becomes shockingly public. Everyone supposes that he has written it to her, but truth hardly matters in the face of the scandal to come if they don't marry at once. But nothing has quite prepared Henrietta for the pure sensuality of...
The Man
Simon has vowed he will never turn himself into a fool over a woman. So, while debutantes swoon as he disdainfully strides past the lovely ladies of the ton, he ignores them all...until Henrietta. Could it be possible that he has been the foolish one all along?----oooohhh huh?
The other is called To Sir Phillip, With Love, by Julia Quinn....
My dear Miss Bridgerton,
WE have been corresponding now for quite some time, and although we have never formally met, I feel as if I know you. Forgive me if I am too bold, but I am writing to invite you to visit me. It is my hope that we might decide that we will suit, and you will consent to be my wife.
-Sir Phillip Crane
Sir Phillip knew that Eloise Bridgerton was a spinster, and so he'd proposed, figuring that she'd be homely and unassuming, and more than a little desperate for an offer of marriage. Except...she wasn't. The beautiful woman on his doorstep was anything but quiet, and when she stopped tlaking long enough to close her mouth, all he wanted to do was kiss her...and more.
Did he thnk she was mad? Eloise Bridgerton couldn't marry a man she had never met! But then she started thinking...and wondering...and before she knew it, she was in a hired carrige in the middle of the night, on her way to meet the man she hoped might be her perfect match. Except...he wasn't. Her perfect husband wouldn't be so moody and ill-mannered, and while Phillip was certainly handsome, he was large brute of a man, rough and rugged, and totally unlike the London gentlemen vying for her hand. But when he smiled...and when he kissed her...the rest of the world simply fell away, and she couldn't help but wonder...could this imperfect man be perfect for her?

Wow long post there...so which should I read first? ha ha