Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

Does Anyone Like "Brave Heart" (The Movie)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20th March 2004, 07:31

Talking Patriotism

Mistress,
I think you have stumbled on the core of what Braveheart is. It is a reminder of the individuality of Scotland, yes it may share an Island with the English but it was there sense of patriotism that was being held down. Scotland was able to unite under Wallace despite clan fueds and attempt to regain there stand in the world. Lets not forget the terrible conditions they lived in at the time. Survival was hard enough without some Dictator who was not even part of your country demanding allegence and obedience to laws that stampted out what made your country Yours! That is what the film is trying to put focus on. Imagine our Ole Glory being removed by Canadian law(as an example). Yes we share the same continent but we are not the same country. I am an American but I cannot help but be moved everytime I watch Braveheart just thinking about the odds of success. It was doomed yet some how the real Wallace was able to fight a fight that has caused us in our "email-age" to post threads about his struggle. "You know what will happen if we don't take that chance, nothing".
Old 20th March 2004, 17:03

Quote:
Originally posted by ello
They brushed over major parts of history including the fact that Scotland was defeated (due to their over-confidence and the goading of the English king) and it would prove to be the last time Wallace ever had command of a large body of troops (he then went into hiding until he was captured and then brought to London to be executed).

The reality isn't quite as glamorous as the Hollywood fiction, but of course that isn't going to stop the English hating Mel Gibson from twisting the truth (in all of his movies no less). The less said about the Kilt-wearing blue-faced William Wallace knocking up a tiny baby (which is what she was in reality) with the future King of England the better.
[i]Hello ello.. Welcome to Scotland.com..

I just wanted to say that I can see how you feel about this Movie, but I was unclear about what you meant by saying "They brushed over major parts of history including the fact that Scotland was defeated"? lol.. Are you speaking of Defeat in War? What? Because from what I seen.. lol.. at least in this movie.. The Scottish did lose the war, but what’s the point? We know this already.. and if it is true that Wallace went into hiding until he was captured, I would also like to know what your point is to that as well?

And would you be stating that the English King or his men.. didn’t do their share of "Knocking up a tiny baby?".. Even if you are correct in that statement, I certainly don't feel that it should be sanctioned to just the Scots being the only ones doing so..
Old 22nd March 2004, 15:52

Quote:
Originally posted by ello
They brushed over major parts of history including the fact that Scotland was defeated (due to their over-confidence and the goading of the English king) and it would prove to be the last time Wallace ever had command of a large body of troops (he then went into hiding until he was captured and then brought to London to be executed).

The reality isn't quite as glamorous as the Hollywood fiction, but of course that isn't going to stop the English hating Mel Gibson from twisting the truth (in all of his movies no less). The less said about the Kilt-wearing blue-faced William Wallace knocking up a tiny baby (which is what she was in reality) with the future King of England the better.
I have already said it in my last post here... this was just a movie..lol... get over it.....

there is a thread on braveheart in the history section if you want to vent your dislike of the movies historical reference..lol
Old 22nd March 2004, 18:13

[i]yes Talon...

Some people just don't get it that its a freaking movie.. lol..

And.. needless to say.. one way or the other.. there will always be THREE sides to every story..

hee hee

"If it's not Scottish, It's Crap!"
lmao
Old 23rd March 2004, 01:53

I want to lighten up the subject.

Okay, okay . . . I have an idea. Since we all like to post our opinions about Braveheart how about I ask all the true fans ( the ones that like it, and the ones that hate it) "How many 'butts' were shown in the movie?
I try and try, but I can never get the actual count?" Please, it is a very important question. "Did Mel Gibson use a body double,or was it really him?"

What do you think Mistress? Talon? I'll be waiting . . . and I know at least one of the people who see this post will go and pause the movie in the scene I'm asking about and start counting !!
Old 23rd March 2004, 15:15

[i]lmao...

Alma... lol.. I've no Idea hon.. lol..

Actually there is only one Bum in a kilt that interests me.. lol.. but I am curious now.. lol.. to find out the answer.. lol..

So do you know it? lol.. and just wanna see who else knows?
he he he.. I'm gonna do a search and see if I can find it on the internedt.. lol..

Thanks for the Laugh

Old 23rd March 2004, 17:09

Hallo everyone who is fond of Williame Wallace - the brave son of brave nation.
I am from Azerbaijan- it is at the Caspian Sea- the new richest petrol region of the world. I have read a lot about Scotland , England and etc. But the comprehensive information about Scotland”s freedom struggle I”ve got after watching “Brave Heart”(Mel Gibson). My nation -azeri turkishs- have a great sons too, as brave Wallace. I loved Williame Wallace, and after watching the movie I read a lot about Wallace and Scotland at all. And I found out that even a French king Ludovic”s(I don’t exactly know which one) all bodyguards was noble scots.
I am a muslim from Azerbaijan and I want to tell to all Scottish that, you all must be proud that you are the compatriots of such a brave, noble, enthusiast, gallant etc. man - Williame Wallace. And I know that you all are proud of him. Because despite I am from other nation and religion, I am proud of him and I love him. All the way we all are sons and daughters of Adam and Eve. In future by the ALLAH’s help I’ll visit your brave Scotland.
Bye all.