Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

Does Anyone Like "Brave Heart" (The Movie)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19th March 2004, 15:43

[i]All to often..

Films get ripped apart because of many different issues... ie: the ending was different in the book. It was not historcially correct, etc.. but honestly.. it is a Movie.. and basically for the enjoyment. Yes I am sure some will feel that this movie was based on a "True Life Story" of William Wallace, but I don't remember them ever stating that it was "factually based" on his life. I know Movies like "Mystic River" or "Beautiful Mind" tell you from the beginning, Based on a True Story... so I guess perhaps they felt that some things didn't need to be 100% documented to the T.? Maybe.. I am just taking a guess there.

However, I am curious.. because I know I've spoken to many Scottish People.. perhaps not about William Wallace, but other things in general.. and I will say I've gotten different stories for the same questions that I've asked.. Could this be the case? We all know that history books are written.. lol.. then updated.. perhaps there is more then one side to the story? I only ask this, because some of you are Scottish and I would like to see what you would say to that..

Anyway, I think Braveheart was Fantastic, Brilliant and I enjoyed it every 100 times or so that I've watched it. "bdnsc1138" I really enjoyed what you wrote, especially the last part.. about reading a book for history.. lol.. And seeing how I would never say that I understood the History of Scotland or Scottish heritage all that well, that still shouldn't lessen the fact that the movie was awesome... And as Talon has also stated, being a Scottish Man himself and feeling proud during the watching of the film.. says it all, at least to me. That is important too... that the majority of the Scottish People felt proud to watch and be Scottish at that time.. I've not met anyone who didn't love this movie.

From the Music, to the battle scenes to the hatred that one felt for the opposing side in the villages, came accross in full strength to this viewer!

Mistress
Old 19th March 2004, 19:29

Smile Not everyone knows how to be proud of their Nation

bdnsc1138:
I agree with what you say. I believe that not many people know what it is to die happy. I see people who are so afraid to say what they feel, afraid to fight for what they believe in, and they might have a splendid life with what is expected of them by society or what's already institutionalized, but they will always be unhappy. I am from Mexico, but I live in the USA. Last week I went with my friend to Mexico and there was a traditional song playing very loud. This song gets to everyone who is from Mexico and far away.
Well, I heard it and I cried. My friend was bewildered and she said: "you know, I don't think Americans know how to be proud of their country, we don't have a song." I don't mean to offend anyone, and I'm sure my friend was generalizing, but I agree that some people just don't know how to be proud of their nation. If braveheart is not so accurate, at least the purpose and meaning of it goes with what William Wallace, and every hero believes:Stand up for your rights, and your beliefs!!
Old 19th March 2004, 20:01

[i]Hey Alma-sirena...

I agree with a lot of what you said.. however.. I just wanted to say that I am American.. and I am very proud.. and we do have a song, actually we have a few things. We have the "Pledge of Alligence" that is said ever morning in class rooms, and the song would be the "Star Spangled Banner".. it is a moving song as well.. especially at a game... Nothing like a stadium filled with fans... lol..

Old 19th March 2004, 20:11

Smile Hi Mistress

I'm sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention. Like I said, my friend was "generalizing" I'm sure that if we were to hear "Hotel California" or "Sweet Home Alabama" in a foreign country we would be all singing at the top of our lungs.

I'm actually very greatful, and thankful that I live in USA. This country has given me all the opportunities that my own country cannot provide. Eventhough all my immedeate family was born in the US, and my parents are Naturalized, I still feel like I'm not really part of it! I used to recite the pledge every morning from the 6th grade to the 8th grade . . . and the National Anthem does make me cry at ball games!
Old 19th March 2004, 20:15

[i]Alma...

You didn't offend me hon.. and yes I understood totally that it was not a "generalization".. I didn't mean for my reply to come off that way, if it did.. I just wanted to say that We do have a Song.. .. lol.. I'm use to hearing it all the time.. as I am a big fan of Hockey.. but, that's all hon... No offense taken at all.. ..

Ok.. so I don't want to upset anyone here.. this is a "BraveHeart" Thread.. lol.. so back to the Movies

Old 19th March 2004, 20:40

Thanks Mistress!

Yeah, back to the movies. Did anyone else like Braveheart's Robert deBruce? Angus MacFadyen has always been one of my favorite actors, but I have a hard time finding his movies. So needless to say, I was truly delighted when I saw him as Robert deBruce, my eternal-historical-crush. . . lol
Old 20th March 2004, 01:53

They brushed over major parts of history including the fact that Scotland was defeated (due to their over-confidence and the goading of the English king) and it would prove to be the last time Wallace ever had command of a large body of troops (he then went into hiding until he was captured and then brought to London to be executed).

The reality isn't quite as glamorous as the Hollywood fiction, but of course that isn't going to stop the English hating Mel Gibson from twisting the truth (in all of his movies no less). The less said about the Kilt-wearing blue-faced William Wallace knocking up a tiny baby (which is what she was in reality) with the future King of England the better.