Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

Does Anyone Like "Brave Heart" (The Movie)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18th March 2004, 13:14

Hello, Peter
I know it's probably only a Freudian slip - but I think you mean 'Hollywood' films, not Holyrood!
Old 18th March 2004, 13:50

Wink

You're right!
Old 18th March 2004, 15:56

Oh, what a wonderful Freudian slip, though. I wonder what Jack McConnell would be like as a film director.

Old 18th March 2004, 20:54

Smile

How about Nightmare on Canongate?
Old 18th March 2004, 22:59

No' bad!

Old 19th March 2004, 09:14

Cool truth in film?

As a fan of Braveheart I feel strongly that the exact content of the film is not what "Hollywood" or Mel Gibson were trying to capture. Rather, they were taking an obscure (to most Americans) corner of history and trying to give it new life by getting you emotionally wrapped up in the ideas set forth but the Wallace character. I think what Gibson was trying to do was not a documentary but something that you could resenate with Freedom vs. Opression. For anyone to say that Scots were not conditioned and their culture nearly wipped out, including so called historical facts documented by English historians, calls for them to put down the history book and examine the facts. What is included in the film are glimpses of opression such as what would in be like to have your father die for what he believes is right and at his funeral not even be able to play "outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes"? Where is the crime in that?

If you are looking for history then please read a book, if you are looking for an emotional representation of what it may have been like then watch Braveheart.
Old 19th March 2004, 10:25

Well I also liked the film... I also think it helped to reawaken scotland in many ways and raised its awareness again worldwide..which I am sure would have knock on effects on our economy..especially tourism...

Personally I know it was a crock...but it was very enjoyable... and even although most of it was not historically correct... I still felt proud to be scottish while watching it... and it was the only film I have ever seen in my life at the movies that got a standing ovation at the end... it really was quite something...people were crying all through it..and gasping..lol...

I thouroughly enjoyed it and I dont care if it was "historically" correct or not...and like BDN says and as some others have too ... take it for what it was...a movie...