Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film

Notices

Does Anyone Like "Brave Heart" (The Movie)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2004, 14:07

Apologies for a third post in a row

Quote:
Originally posted by budong
English conditioning? You guys are really making this nonsense up you know. There is no conditioning. Hollywood distorts the truth, blame them. Is it really England's (as in the entire population of England) fault if a bunch of Scottish people don't pick up history books? No.
Probably would be worth mentioning that my history teacher was English, and actually told us he refused to teach Scottish history to us. Since he was such a bore, this was probably just as well, he might have turned me against it.
Old 23rd August 2004, 14:41

SR
Some natives of Scotland choose to be Scots and BRITISH. I travel on a UK passport, not a Scots one and, so I suspect, do you

I am not a monarchist in any shape or form, but I am not a rabid Republican either.

Jem was confusing English with British, I merely pointed out that when using British for English, it could be confusing for the reader, as the terms are not interchangeable...

Jings, yer affae quick tae jump oan sumbdi's corns, ur you no?
Old 23rd August 2004, 22:22

braveheart

Quote:
Originally posted by Polwarth
SR
Some natives of Scotland choose to be Scots and BRITISH. I travel on a UK passport, not a Scots one and, so I suspect, do you

OK, I should know better, but I don't. Has the term "British" become offensive to Scots, in the long years of my absence, and is it no longer PC? When I was a young ****head I never took offense at being labeled British, even though I was very ready to take offense at just about anything. I would never describe myself as British, but I don't issue an instant correction to anyone who does refer to me as such. (Ah canna thole bein cried English, but!)

The original British, of course, were Celts, inhabiting, among other places, the southern regions of what we now call Scotland. Braveheart was a flawed effort, but I did notice how the lads in the battle lines were costumed as different ethnic types. You could clearly see who were meant to be Picts, Gaels, Brits, etc. Technically, Scotland did not exist at the time.

Am I right to say that the entitity known as Britain, in a cultural terms, is composed of major groups such as the English, Welsh, Cornish, and Northern Irish? Who includes the Scots in that definition?

Is the term "British Citizen" still extant in bureaucracy, and does it apply de facto to the benighted sons and daughters of North Britain?

Do Scots Nationalists, home rule types and Scottish Republicans reject the use of the word British to describe the Scots? I know SR does. I'm just trying to hear the nuances.

These may seem like no brainers to some of you, but at least I have the courage to admit my ignorance.
lik wanna yoo
scruff yi
widny thingk
it wuz troo."
Old 23rd August 2004, 22:39

S
Many Scots nowadays HATE the use of the word 'British'... but I'm not one of them!

The SNP has a lot to do with this stance.
Old 23rd August 2004, 23:10

braefart

Quote:
S
Many Scots nowadays HATE the use of the word 'British'... but I'm not one of them!

The SNP has a lot to do with this stance.
Thanks P, I get it. "British" implies English domination, right? PC changes all the time.

I remember when MegaScots would rather die than take water in their whiskey. Today a drop or two of water is perfectly acceptable in your malt.

I suppose the word "Scotch" to describe a nationality is still a crime against nature? I cheerfully call myself a Scotchman in the hopes of drawing an argument. "Scotch" in this context was used by Burns, Scott, Stevenson, you name them. If it was good enough for them, at what point did it become not good enough for us?

In the same vein, I suppose 'broon yin' is no longer acceptable as an address to folks of darker skin?
lik wanna yoo
scruff yi
widny thingk
it wuz troo."
Old 24th August 2004, 08:49

S
I hate the term 'scotch' for a Scot - has been out of fashion probably since the 50s - I suspect it has something to do with us making 'Scotch' a brand name for beef, lamb and Scotch Eggs! Who wants to be confused with comestibles?

Broonyin? Naaah, never heard that term.

PS - no tae nitpick nor nuhhin, but gonnae spell whisky the 'Scottish' way, ie withoot an 'e'?!!! I am SURE it was a mere slip of the finger, or maybe you have been affected by your adopted country?!
Old 24th August 2004, 15:21

braveheart

Quote:

PS - no tae nitpick nor nuhhin, but gonnae spell whisky the 'Scottish' way, ie withoot an 'e'?!!! I am SURE it was a mere slip of the finger, or maybe you have been affected by your adopted country?!
Sorrey. My spelling has become Americanized over the years. Whiskey is Irish, Bourbon, Sourmash etc. Whisky is Scotch. I normally take my whisky with a drop of water but without the 'e'. Gonnae dae ma time in the corner jist noo.
lik wanna yoo
scruff yi
widny thingk
it wuz troo."