Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Language

Notices

Gaelic endearments

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6th December 2001, 09:17

Talking

Can anyone tell me what the Gaelic for "my precious" would be? I am writing a story and need a Gaelic endearment, of if any of you Gaelic speaking men could come up with something more romantic? :-)
Also, does anyone know of any Gaelic websites where they pronounce the words for you in Real Audio? I bought the book and tape set by Iain Taylor but it's difficult to know if it is right or not. (my pronounciation)
Old 9th December 2001, 00:17

mcghillie-go down several threads in this forum to the one titled "Gaelic". It will give you several sites where you can hear Gaelic as well as learn it. Here are some endearments: mo chride - my heart; mo luaidh - my beloved, darling; mo ghradh - my dear; mo nighean - my girl, my lass. If you are familar with Diana Gabaldon's wonderful time-travel novels, starting with "Outlander", set in Scotland before the '45, she has a handbook for them called the "Outlander Companion". If you can get a chance to look at this, I would highly recommend it. On pages 513-519 she gives recommendations to all the people who have written to her wanting advice on writing their own Scottish novel. She gives recommendations on sentence structure differences that you would need to learn to make it believable. An example she gives is: An American hotel clerk will say, "Can I help you?" An English clerk will say, "May I help you, please?" A Highland clerk will say, "Can I be helpin' ye at all, then?" I hope this helps. It seems to be a fad these days for American writers, especially romance novelists, to write books set in Scotland. Some of these can be really irritating! But if you do your research, maybe you can pull it off.
Old 9th December 2001, 00:41

Smile

Thanks! I am a fan of Diana's I actually have the Outlandish Companion but I have to admit, I haven't really had time to look through it properly!
Thanks again!