Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Language

Notices

A'Bheurla Ghallda

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:29

so jackie bird speaks BBC english...why bring her up then...the whole of scotland gets to see here on the news too....and thats not how "normal" people speak.....your defeating your own argument.

yes i agree few people south of aberdeen speak wholly scots or doric or gaelic but there are already dictionaries out there for all to see.

in scotland most people speak using a mixture of the dialects (as ive already said) ...thats what happens when you grow up in a place with (historically) different languages.

these people trying "to standardise" the way i talk are just busy bodies with nothing better to do that interfere in peoples culture....usually because theyve just learned about it.

no gonna happen
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:32

Most people in Scotland speak English. "when was the last time you heard anyone in Glasgow say "maun" or "richt"? Please give an example. The only time I hear "richt" is at Burns Suppers and "maun" isnt used in Central Belt dialects.
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:33

Doric has changed less than in other parts of Scotland and as Scots was always an English language, there needs to be standardization to maintain Scots as a separate language. If you dont want it to be a separate language then of course, it can remain a number of sociolects such as Rab C Nesbitt as opposed to Jackie Bird etc...
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:34

Many standardizers are native speakers of dialects that are under danger such as John Magnus Tait.
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:39

Th-fronting in the speech of working-class adolescents in Glasgow was reported in 1998, provoking public as well as academic interest. The finding of th-fronting in Glaswegian creates a difficulty for models of language change which hinge on dialect contact associated with geographical mobility since the Glaswegian speakers who used [f] most in the 1997 sample are also those with the lowest geographical mobility. In addition, TH-fronting was reported as "a relatively new phenomenon" in Edinburgh in March 2013.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ne&aid=8833410
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaoin View Post
Most people in Scotland speak English. "when was the last time you heard anyone in Glasgow say "maun" or "richt"? Please give an example. The only time I hear "richt" is at Burns Suppers and "maun" isnt used in Central Belt dialects.
for an example of how various people talk youl just need to come here.

and can you stop telling ME how people round about me speak

youl be telling no one in the central belt dont speaks scots, gaelic or doric next, which is also a load of rubbish.

i do not need to do research or google loads of different sites to find out how people where i live speak and you doing so only proves the point that you dont actually know.

why dont you simply come here and see for yourself the many dialect,accents and tongues that are wide spread all over the place.
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:51

I might be Scottish for all you know. It would be rather silly to assume not if I am.