Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Language

Notices

A petition for a standard spelling

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:34

Post A petition for a standard spelling

Here is a link to a petition for Scots to have a standard spelling. it holds no biased towards any existing proposals but seeks to raise awareness of the issue and hopefully let people know that this is an important matter. Also a friend of mine may be meeting Nicola Sturgeon and they will pass a letter onto her about the issue, this petition will be mentioned. and any comments left on it will be collected onto said letter. So if you should Scots spelling should be standardised then put your name down

https://www.change.org/p/holyrood-to...t_created=true
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:45

Why?

You seem fixated that YOUR standard spelling is the way forward. I don't agree.
Old 4th April 2015, 00:22

the petition is just for there to be a standard but not for which one. A friend pointed out how it looked like it was pushing mines so I put in the update other options (I couldn't edit the post after I made it). sorry if it seamed bias

The reason being that the language stands a better chance of survival with a standard spelling. People find it hard to take a language seriously if they can't even. Also for official purposes and education ect a standard spelling would come in handy.
Old 4th April 2015, 00:42

Sorry, I've been scrievin an spierin in Lallans online fur mony years. Your style isnae mine, son...

Last edited by Polwarth; 4th April 2015 at 23:22. Reason: Grammar
Old 4th April 2015, 09:52

No disrespect TreehuggerLad but you need to improve your grammar. The correct spelling of a word is pointless if the grammar does not make sense and your post has a lack of both.

I also had a look at your petition site and was dismayed at the use of Scots to describe a language. Scots is not an adjective. Scottish is. Scot and Scots are used to describe a person from Scotland. Sadly in today's society we have become lazy and bad grammar is widely accepted in today's modern society.

But what was even more disturbing was the use of the American spelling for the word standardization. It would appear the petition site is incapable of standardising the English language so it was good to see the correct spelling of the word in your post.

We only use the z when communicating with American business partners or contacts, not when communicating within the UK.
Old 17th July 2015, 18:31

I use Zs and Ss randomly because English cannae make up its mind. I think he has a good point about a standard orthography for Scots if its going t be a language rather than a way of speaking English.
Old 21st July 2015, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaoin View Post
I use Zs and Ss randomly because English cannae make up its mind. I think he has a good point about a standard orthography for Scots if its going t be a language rather than a way of speaking English.
randomly using different letters doesnt make good orthography