Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Language

Notices

A petition for a standard spelling

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st July 2015, 15:45

American orthography may or may not be good, but it is part of the global English language or languages today. Should Americans have no say in whether Scots has a separate orthography to Modern English?
Old 21st July 2015, 16:40

inserting random letters into the spelling of words does not make good orthography in any language, in any country.
Quote:
An orthography is the methodology of writing a language. It includes rules of spelling, hyphenation, capitalization, word breaks, emphasis, and punctuation.

The conventional spelling system of a language
therefor what you are doing in your "standardisation" is the total opposite of the meaning.

and yes Americans (or anyone else) should not have a say in how MY language is written.

out of interest where abouts in scotland do you live?
Old 21st July 2015, 17:13

Who says its your language? Maybe they speak it too?
Old 25th July 2015, 14:08

i say its my language.

its the language of my home land, the place i live, the place my family have lived for eons so we wont be changing it.

for any reason
Old 25th July 2015, 17:10

Languages are constantly changing so your ancestors would have been incomprehensible to you. Its also true thatthere are Scots speakers across the world today such as in the following anecdote:

" Ah'm a first generation Canadian wha was brocht up in a hame whaur Scots (braid Ayrshire) wis spokken bi ma grandpairents whan they wis gaithered thegither wi their auld freens fae Scotland, muckle o the time. My grandfaither wis born an raised in Tarbowton, Ayrshire, (born. 1895), foucht in WW1 in Gallipoli. He managed tae survive the war, and gaed hame tae Ayrshire, got mairriet, and cam tae Canada wi ma mither, wha wis juist a year auld bairn, in 1921. Mither passit awa in 2009, an sin then Ah've taen a gey interest in the tung, though I kent monie o the auld wurds and kent the Ayrshire accent fae listenin tae the baith o ma grandfowk whan I wis a callan. Mum niver gaed back tae Scotland, but I'd like tae gang there wi ma wife ( nee Buchanan) some time in the neist 2-5 year. So tae lairn the leid, I've been readin ( Scots N.T by Lorimer, short stories an aw, Electric Scotland wabsteid, Scots Language Centre wabsteid, an muckle mair, an o coorse this Facebook site, listenin tae Billy Kay on YouTube). Nou I've taen a interest in the Doric an aw, an ay enjoy listenin tae "Scotland the What" on YouTube wi Buff Hardie and Steve Robertson, lauchin ma heid aff!! Sae there ye hae it fae me, as a Non-Scot. Lang live the Scots Tung!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1262.../?notif_t=like
Old 27th July 2015, 02:44

seen it all before...people trying to tell us how we should write n read....no gonna happen mate...lived here all my life n no one is going to change how people communicate

no matter how romantic or Genealogyisticky your going to try and make your argument its just not how it happens in the actual place....and never will.

sorry
Old 27th July 2015, 08:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsVz5U76kX0