Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Language

Notices

New Scottish heritage

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18th July 2011, 08:47

New Scottish heritage

Hi all,

A few years ago, after my grandparents passed away, my mother ordered he birth certificate. There was a whopper of a surprise for her, when she discovered that the man she though was her father really wasn't. Instead, the father listed was a man named Eugene W. Mclean.

3 yrs ago, 2 yrs after my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, my mother was also diagnosed with cancer. In my celebration of life and support for both of them going through their disease and chemo, I designed a 14 color butterfly that I had tatttooed on my left arm on the shoulder. I had so many colors incorporated because life is full of color and new begininnings, so I wanted the butterfly to represent my mother, sister and I.

My sister survived her breast cancer, but after 3 yrs of chemo, my mother passed away a couple of months ago, and having found out we have scottish heritage, I wanted to add to my butterfly, in tribute to my mother, the words "In my heart forever", but in scottish gaelic. I have collected Scottish fonts to have it put in. I have this so far, but would like some input as to whether it is correct.

Nam Chridhe gu Brąth, or is it: gu brąth ma mo cridhe? - is this close to what I am trying to say?

Any help would be so welcomed! Appropriate capitalization would also be very much appreciated. My sister and I are planning a trip to visit Scotland this year, and I can't wait. I only wish my mother would be here to see it.

Thank you so much!!
Old 18th July 2011, 10:05

Firstly Im sorry to hear of the terrible times youve been through and I hope things are looking up now.

"Nam chrģdhe gu brąth!" means "in my heart forever".

"Mar mo crģdhe gu brąth" would literally be "As/like my heart forever" (without the R the ma means "if" so its important to add the R at the end of the word).
Old 27th July 2011, 13:16

To Sgoinneil

Thank you Sgoinneil, for your response! It is surely appreciated. I am sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, as I was studying for finals, and am in the proccess of moving. It has been kind of hard to go through my mother's things, and decide what to keep, and not, so my sister and I have just decided to pack up everything, and go through it when we are both more emotionally ready, I guess to let go. Since we both worshipped her, and have no family outside of her, it has been a big loss for us, one that we still don't even talk about too much as it makes us too upset.

But I know that things will get better with time, and we are just going to go with the flow. I am going to take a term off of school, before presuing my doctrate. In the mean time, we are going to do a little traveling, which should be good for both of us. Thank you again for your fast and speedy reply, along with your condolences. Take care.

Joria