Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Language

Notices

Do Irish proverbs have any relevance when written in Scottish Gaelic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th July 2011, 15:07

Do Irish proverbs have any relevance when written in Scottish Gaelic?

Do Irish proverbs have any relevance when written in Scottish Gaelic? For example: "Nothing without effort" seems to be a fairly commonly used Irish proverb, but does it transfer to Scottish as well? Also, in Irish Gaelic it is expressed: "Tada gan irrracht", what would the proper translation in Scottish Gaelic? I am trying to help my family understand a few things about where our ancestors came from, and they came from both Ireland AND Scotland, and i think this is a nice saying to imprint on my children. I would like them to be able to say it and write it both ways. Thanks.
Old 18th July 2011, 23:12

I'm pretty sure and maybe someone on this site would know better... that not all of Scotland was ever completely Gaelic speaking. Most of that language developed over the Western and Northern portions of Scotland. In the southern regions, they spoke Scots which is a Germanic in root. So, unless your ancestors were from the Northern or Western portion of the island (like Hebrides, Lewis, etc), Gàidhlig would not be part of your particular ancestry.

I find that many people believe because they have ancestors from Scotland, by default they were part of the Gàidhlig community. Anyone else have any more details?
Old 18th July 2011, 23:47

Gaelic was spoken in Perthshire up until the 20th century and Stirlingshire at least until the Reformation. There are Gaelic placenames in the Borders (Auchencraw for one) and apparently some over the border.
Old 19th July 2011, 00:34

best i can tell

From what I have gathered from my grandparents etc, our ancestors live in the area of Skye, would that have been a Gaelic community? Also, I would love to know the translation of that either way if anyone can help, thanks!
Old 19th July 2011, 00:48

Thats easy to answer as it still is a Gaelic speaking area. It would have been Gaelic speaking when anyone had headed out to America for sure.

You could say "Chan eil dad gun spàirn ann!" but there might be a more idiomatic phrasing.
Old 13th August 2011, 18:45

Second Nyquil, all of Skye was Gaidhlig speaking back then.

"Gaelic was spoken in Perthshire up until the 20th century and Stirlingshire at least until the Reformation."

+ Carrick in Ayrshire until c. 1760, Galloway until the late 18th/early 19th century, Arran and Bute until about the 1960s, Aberdeenshire until the late 1980s etc

I think there are still one or two Perthshire speakers left. There certainly are in eastern parts of Scotland near Golspie, Brora, Embo, but they are few and old.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."
Old 25th August 2011, 16:47

Hey, your adver should say 'don't buy rubbish!!'

lol I love that word... rubbish!