Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Language

Notices

The Scottish Education Department went out of their way to eradicate Gaelic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th July 2011, 15:01
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoinneil View Post
It contradicts what you claimed earlier about Britain being more responsible than Scotland.
It does nothing of the sort.

You certainly seem to have difficulties comprehending the English language .

Read it again , with the assistance of a competent adult .
Read my post again too , the pertinent ones .
In doing so you will see that I laid the responsibility of the 1872 act at the feet of the British Empire and it's one size fits all policies .
The article , rightly points out that the act ignored Gaelic completely , and that the actions taken against the Gaelic speaking kids was not official policy .
Furthermore the artical specifically states that with the space of 15 years provisions were made for the teaching of Gaelic , but that the opportunity was not made best use of for various reasons .

If you wish to be taken seriously in an international discussion , keep to the Topic .
Your emotive comment about the Highlanders , while true , as those of us who descend from the Highlands well know , has no part in this debate .
Once again , if you had read and fully comprehended the content of the article you would know that Highlanders took a leading role in the campaign to preserve the language.

Research is a marvelous thing .
Old 11th July 2011, 15:41

The British state was a Scottish invention.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:46

Large areas of Scotland including Perthshire and Aberdeenshire still had Gaelic speakers until the twentieth century. The Scottish authorities went out of their way to destroy this and invested heavily in paying employees to see it through.
Old 21st April 2013, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoinneil View Post
How could parents pass on their language in confidence when violence was imposed along with deliberate humiliation and ridicule of their children under Scottish education when they did? The home was disouraged. And what about the children sent away to schools elsewhere to board? They were deliberately targetted by Scottish legislation.
Sgoinneil, you made some excellent points here! No parent in the world would have their kids suffer or being publicly humiliated. So they stopped speaking the language at home. That's why till nowadays, native speakers are reluctant to speak gaelic in public. The native Gaels have been humiliated and ridiculed, a strategy that "worked" very efficiently.
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:13

Human evidence

Duthill clearly has a bee in his/her bonnet.

Can I just put this to bed by sorting everyone out with the real evidence:

Johnnie MacVicar, of Loch Gair, interviewed by David Clement in 1973, speaking about a previous era. I translate:

JM: "The schoolmaster at the time, MacLachlan, was very hard on children for speaking Gaelic in school"

DC: "MacLachlan, He was a Gael himself???"

JM: "yes, a Gael indeed. And broke his stick once across a boy's back for speaking Gaelic more than once"

Elizabeth MacDermid of Lawers told a friend of mine that her brother was beaten so badly about the head that he lost the hearing in one ear. For speaking Gaelic.

In Perthshire and elsewhere, you wore the teasaire round your neck and as the man said earlier, the last person to be caught with it (you were given it by the person before you who spoke Gaelic) received a sound thrashing.

This was neither native Scots, nor the Brits in London. It was both. The London government knew fine well what was going on and encouraged it. The Scots, both Lowlander and Highlander, carried out the bidding of their colonial masters like the lap-dogs they were.

If you want the truth, go back to the source.
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:35

hi and welcome

do you think the gaelic community or gaelic speakers are still persecuted and discriminated against now?

and do you live in Scotland?
Old 1st June 2013, 19:03

But late to join in, but it's a bit narrow to see this in terms of Gaelic language. The whole culture of the Gaels was suppressed with a very heavy hand after the Jacobite rising and Culloden. The wearing of traditional plaid, bearing arms, and speaking Gaelic all became hanging offences, and they were not allowed to read or translate the Bible into Gaelic. It was a quite determined, and possibly unparalleled, effort by the British State to break the spirit of Gaels, and it still resonates today. The Gaels were made to feel their culture was the cheap and dirty tongue of a peasant culture and that they were second class citizens in their own country. Even today, Gaels will speak to each other in Gaelic, but when their company is joined by another, even a stranger, they will start to converse in English.
I don't think it does bear full comparison that the British were merely being uniform in their Anglicisation of cultures they dominated. The Highlanders were a special threat to Britain, and a threat the British State wanted to smash and irradicate completely. Even today, (and I might be wrong if it has changed), but Gaelic still doesn't enjoy the status of a 'proper' language, equal in status to say Welsh. That is important, because it meant you hadn't the right to defend yourself in a legal court using your native language.
Things are changing I believe, but I understand the lasting legacy is there are more gaelic speakers in Canada than there are in Scotland.

A further comment I would add is that Gaelic nothwithstanding, the whole issue of Scottish History has been notable by it's absence in the Scottish School curriculum for decades. I myself got virtually no Scottish History at school. I was taught about stone age, bronze age, iron age, beaker people, then the Vikings, then WW1 and modern history.

Should the Gaels feel aggrieved and persecuted? Well they do have cause to feel that way, however it's complicated in the modern world. I suspect a bigger pressure on native Gaelic speakers is the viability of communities with adequate populations of Gaelic speakers to maintain the rich dialects. Teaching Gaelic to non-Gaels won't do that. So, not persecution as such, but a grievous legacy of persecution - definitely.

However, to redress the balance a little, I would equally wager your average Highlander would know very little about the historical trials and tribulations of the lowland Scots, especially in the lawless badlands of the Borders. Life was never quiet or fair for very long in the Borders. The history of Scotland is a long story and it's often X certificate stuff.