Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Language

Notices

Calling names and Scottish insults

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2007, 00:53

Calling names and Scottish insults

This is random, I know, but I find some of the name calling on this site rather funny. I wish the circumstances were more funny so I decided to start a thread to post your favorite Scottish insulting name. If it has a specific meaning, list that too. Let's keep it lighthearted, non-racial, and PG-13 at least.

I've read 'Numpty' and 'Troll'

I don't know what they mean except from context they are not endearments.
I know the mythological meaning of troll but wondering if there is another, cultural meaning.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:22
Username Removed

"Numpty" was recently voted Scotland's favourite word. It means "idiot"

"Troll" isn't a peculiarly Scottish insult - it's an internet term for someone who posts deliberately provocative messages on boards to goad people into answering.

"Nyaff" is one I like - a nyaff is an irritating person. In fact, you might describe a troll as a nyaff !
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:12

Teuchter - but then again, that's a Scottish-specific insult from a townie (usually a centrilbeltir!) to a country person.
Old 23rd September 2007, 16:00

Nyah, Polwarth, yer bum's oot the windae! I just cannot see "teuchter" as an insult word. So you're a bampot, so ye are!

So "bampot" is another word you can have, Marlys. However, even if usage is mainly Scottish, I'm inclined to think the etymology would take us back to the barm on the top of brewing beer, so it's the same sort of thing as "barmy", which is by no means a Scottish thing, really.
Old 23rd September 2007, 17:57

Scotsgait is spot on about "troll". Of course it is not a Scottish thing, but just a term you will meet on any internet message board - well unless you are extremely lucky and find a board that doesn't have any, of course. And when you do find such a place, please send me the web address and let me join! I will bribe you with chocolate or something. (Oh rats, not got any chocolate, hmm, I could bake you a cake? No, me baking cake would certainly involve the fire brigade. Thinking again .... ... perhaps just a wee cheese sandwich?

Am I the only one who first found it confusing, because of thinking of "troll" as, well, obviously, the Norse mythology troll? I felt a bit stupid when I realised that it is because the U.S.A. uses "trolling" for the fishing that we would call "trawling". A pity, really, because it was more fun to have mental images of the "trolls" as the Norse myth entities. Bad ugly monsters, to be feared and loathed.
Old 23rd September 2007, 22:15

Jings, you wur brocht up mair refainit than me then, Celyn... embdi fae as far ooty Edinburgh as, say.... 4 or 5 miles would be referred to as a 'teuchter'!
Old 24th September 2007, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Scotsgait is spot on about "troll". Of course it is not a Scottish thing, but just a term you will meet on any internet message board - well unless you are extremely lucky and find a board that doesn't have any, of course. And when you do find such a place, please send me the web address and let me join! I will bribe you with chocolate or something. (Oh rats, not got any chocolate, hmm, I could bake you a cake? No, me baking cake would certainly involve the fire brigade. Thinking again .... ... perhaps just a wee cheese sandwich?

Am I the only one who first found it confusing, because of thinking of "troll" as, well, obviously, the Norse mythology troll? I felt a bit stupid when I realised that it is because the U.S.A. uses "trolling" for the fishing that we would call "trawling". A pity, really, because it was more fun to have mental images of the "trolls" as the Norse myth entities. Bad ugly monsters, to be feared and loathed.
Now who said the forums can't be educational?

Thanks for the education Scotsgait and Celyn. I really didn't know what being a Troll was.
The other main forum I'm on, Celyn is GerardButler.net and I haven't ever heard that term on it. I'll take that sandwich dry with sharp cheddar, thank you.

Yeah, I feel a bit stupid not knowing what it was but not because of trolling for fish, although now when my husband and his best friend go fishing, I'll have a great mental image of bad ugly monsters floating slowly through the water. LOL! Except, I thought trolls lived under bridges...??

Nyaff. I like it.

Teuchter. I wonder how its pronounced? 4 or 5 miles out of Edinburgh is considered country? Wow. I live in a small town 2 1/2 hours from the next larger town. What would that make me? Wait... don't answer that.

and Bampot. Would that mean your not telling a complete truth? or tall tales, being a bit pished?

Come on everybody! Keep 'em comin'!