Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Language

Notices

How do you say Happy Birthday?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 24th April 2003, 19:59

Unhappy

I have a Scottish friend who's birthday is today and I want to know how to say Happy Birthday Alex!!!!!!!
please if you can help me out???? and please give me the pronunciation as well I still have a hard time learning how to pronounce things correctly...bloody yank hic that I am...ach
Sami
Old 24th April 2003, 20:08

Do you want Gaelic or Scots? If it's Gaelic, "Happy birthday, Alex" would be "Co-latha-breith sona, Alasdair." Prounced Ko-laha-bree sona, Alastare, stress always on the first syllable.
"Pure religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27)

www.personal.psu.edu/bmd175
Old 24th April 2003, 20:16

thank you thank you....

Dang it I am a country girl... that is my excuse for my numptieness... I think I mean Scots... gaelic.???
Okay I work with special needs kids all day and my iq is slipping ... He is from Glasgow... what would they speak there?
I know I said Scotland wrong because he said it was more of a p sound than a b... I said AHHHLBA...me and my hic accent... thank you so much... tell me which one I should use...
Sami
Old 24th April 2003, 22:18

Ok, if the name for Scotland he is using is Alba, then he is speaking Gaelic. I have read that there are around 50,000 Gaelic speakers in Glasgow.

Scots is very similar to English, and once you get used to it, the 2 languages are mutually intelligable. An example of Scots: Ah dinnae ken what yer talkin aboot. (I don't know what you're talking about.) Gaelic is totally different.

P.S. A lot of confusion arises from the fact that 3 languages are all called Gaelic in English. There is Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic, and Manx Gaelic (Isle of Man). Also, sometimes people call Scottish Gaelic 'Scots Gaelic' which leads to confusion since Scots and Scots Gaelic are 2 totally different languages.
"Pure religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27)

Old 25th April 2003, 17:52

thank you so much

I knew I would get an answer here at Scotland.com...
you all are the best!!!
Sami
Old 25th April 2003, 18:01

Quote:
Originally posted by Fear_nam_Beanntan
Ok, if the name for Scotland he is using is Alba, then he is speaking Gaelic. I have read that there are around 50,000 Gaelic speakers in Glasgow.

Scots is very similar to English, and once you get used to it, the 2 languages are mutually intelligable. An example of Scots: Ah dinnae ken what yer talkin aboot. (I don't know what you're talking about.) Gaelic is totally different.

P.S. A lot of confusion arises from the fact that 3 languages are all called Gaelic in English. There is Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic, and Manx Gaelic (Isle of Man). Also, sometimes people call Scottish Gaelic 'Scots Gaelic' which leads to confusion since Scots and Scots Gaelic are 2 totally different languages.
the reason why Scots is similar to English is because it IS English. it is just a dialect of English, just like Cockney, Geordie and Scouse are dialects of English in England.
Old 25th April 2003, 20:33

I'm reminded of somethng Neil posted a while ago.

Quote:
Seein hou monie there wis o them, he spealed the brae, an whan he hed sitten doun, an his disciples hed gethert about him, he set tae the teachin, an this is what he said tae them:

"Hou happie the puir at is hummle afore God,
for theirs is the Kingdom o heiven !
Hou happie the dowff an dowie,
for they will be comfotit !
Hou happie the douce an cannie,
for they will faa the yird !
Hou happie them at yaups an thrists for richteousness,
for they will get their sairin !
Hou happie the mercifu,
for they will win mercie !
Hou happie the clean o hairt,
for they will see God !
Hou happie the redders o strow an strife,
for they will be caa'd the childer o God !
Hou happie them at hes dree'd misgydin for richteousness' sake,
for their's is the Kingdom o Heiven !

Hou happie ye, whan they tash an misgyde ye an say aathing ill o ye, liein on ye, for my sake ! Blythe be ye an mirkie, for gryt is the rewaird bidin ye in heiven; it wis een sae they misgydit the Prophets afore ye.

"Ye ar the saut o the warld. But gin the saut gaes saurless, what will gie it back its tang? There is nocht adae wi it mair but cast it outbye for fowk tae patter wi their feet.

"Ye ar the licht o the warld. A toun biggit on a hill-tap canna be hoddit; an again, whan fowk licht a lamp, they pit-it-na- ablo a meal-bassie, but set it up on the dresser-heid, an syne it gies licht for aabodie i the houss. See at your licht shines that gate afore the warld, sae at aabodie may see your guid deeds an ruise your Faither in heiven !

frae 'The New Testament in Scots' - William L Lorimer. This extract is from St Matthews, chapter 5, verses 1 to 16. Lorimer's translation of the New Testment, from the original Greek, intil Scots was published in 1983.
So, exactly what does faa the yird mean, Mr. English speaker?