Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Household Hints

Notices

Money-Saving Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7th July 2005, 21:42

I already know that credit is evil. I can still remember back in elementary, middle and highschool when we were permitted to charge for lunches. It saved my stomach now and then, but underneath that, I hated having to owe money, even if it was only $1.50. Ever since then, i've made a stalwart vow to never, EVER get a credit card. Where college is concerned, i've had to take out a loan, but loans are about as far as i'll go. Now phone cards are nice, I think. Especially when you don't use them that much so they last alot longer:-). I've got a 500 min. one that's lasted me since last year, around this time.
Old 16th July 2005, 05:18

I am off to go dancing again. It is Friday after all. But reading this thread reminds me of something.

It is great to save money and be practical. But don't be a cheapskate like a relative I know.

He 'parcels' out bathroom tissue sheets. One litte square per use. Not any more. He then puts the 'sacred' toilet paper away under lock and key. One 'relative' asked him what if you have laxative problems and the 'cheapskate' said, "use your fingers, and wash them afterwards, just don't waste expensive toilet tissue." LOL. Gross!! But don't take cheapness too far. Be generous with toilet paper, toothpaste and soap to wash with. Those are essentials.

Old 20th September 2007, 14:25

Talking Save on Heating Bills

When you are feeling cold in the winter don't turn up the thermostat. Just think of Gordon Brown on the steps of number 10 with Maggie Hitler and you will heat up with embarrassment.
An affront to all Scots.