Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Household Hints

Notices

The Bible of Housekeeping Hints

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1st December 2004, 23:34

I have Cheryl Mendelson's book "Home Comforts". She is a lawyer/judge who loves housekeeping. But she fails to tell the reader that most of her hints relate to upper middle class yuppies with disposable incomes to pay for hired help, and not single mom's with 22k a year salaries and no money for basics. She should rewrite a book for women of modest incomes and no money for hired help and expensive appliances and big dry cleaning bills. How to solve the problems for people who don't have any closet space, no storage space, outdated kitchens, ancient plumbing and no money for new flooring or new equipment. That is a challenge.

I think my friend Ofelia who has worked as a maid in the households of the upper crust in Mexico for decades has some efficiency techniques that work for everyone and doesn't need a law degree to make it happen. But I do think Cheryl is a good writer. At least she covers the important things.
Old 2nd December 2004, 17:21

I agree with you---I bought her book; it's interesting,but, I, too get by on very little (yes, I DID get a settlement, but, that money is my retirement...I can't spend it)---so, I find that some of the recommendations are 'out of my league'. lol I just rely on clorox, liquid dishwashing soap, and HOT water---yes, and rubber golves. Plus, a spray bottle of plain water, to keep my cats from going where they shouldn't go...
Old 7th December 2004, 18:47

Clorox is not good for the environment. Many microbes have adapted to bleach too. But, what is equally effective in killing 99% of undesireble bacteria without the toxicity is white vinegar solution with baking soda. On tests it kills as much as chlorine but is very good on the environment. If you put a pinch of pure lavender essence oil in it covers the vinegary smell too. It is good. It works too!

And I am glad you have a settlement and have some security that is good. Very good. Are you a single mom? Those are busy women indeed and need household hints galore. Save time too.
Old 9th December 2004, 14:34

PRgirl...what are the measurements of the ingredients for the solution? Yep...single MOM; my daughter keeps me going!! Or, I should say, "Kept me going!" She's married, going to school, and working; I'm still single! That's life! I'd love it if you'd send those measurements...Thanks