Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

How do we define a Scot?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th March 2012, 00:08

That's you asking to be corrected by those of Scots ancestry on this board, PuddleSplasher!
Old 14th January 2013, 23:24

We define ourselves!

I find this very interesting, my name is Scottish I was raised in a typical Italian household but also have Irish ancestry. Many immigrants first arriving to the US lived in communities with other immigrants from the same country. To this day we have Italian neighborhoods, Latin neighborhoods, and Asian neighborhoods. We are all Americans but we are also still identify ourselves with our heritage be it Italian, Latin, Scottish and so on.

Do you fault us for having pride in our ancestry for the sole reason that we are American? Are we not allowed to identify with our ethnicity?

Its simple: Im Italian Im Scottish Im Irish and Im American, there is nothing that anyone can say that will strip me of my genealogy. It would be insulting to my family members that worked their fingers to the bone, as immigrants if I did not recognize and appreciate them for all that they sacrificed.

I find the arguments against how I identify or define myself with my heritage racist and ignorant.

If you want to look for a definition, then try looking up Ethnicity or Ethnic!

You can say what you want, nothing will take away my pride in being a Scottish/Italian/Irish American.
Old 15th January 2013, 09:52

You've come late to the party. IMO, many of the Scots on here are all reasoned out talking about this to foreigners.

You're entitled to your opinions and so am I. Calling native Scots racists and worse won't win you any support from real Scots.
Old 15th January 2013, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwarth View Post
You've come late to the party. IMO, many of the Scots on here are all reasoned out talking about this to foreigners.

You're entitled to your opinions and so am I. Calling native Scots racists and worse won't win you any support from real Scots.
To be honest, it had been quite a while since I have visited this site, actually stumbled on it while researching a vacation spot for this year and have to say that unfortunately the format of these forums make it relatively easy to pick up on conversations that are weeks, months even years old.

I only felt the need to comment after running across this topic in quite a few places. I want to be very clear, I am not calling 'real' Scots racists - the topic itself is one that embodies racism. Weve had plenty of conversations in the states the past few years on what makes someone a real American, the topic of conversation will always boil down to hateful and close-minded statements being made.

And in my experience I have never witnessed an example this when visiting with family that were born, raised and live in Edinburgh. As I said before Im Italian Im Scottish (Clan Stewart) Im Irish and Im American, there is nothing that anyone can say that will strip me of my genealogy. It would be insulting to my family members that worked their fingers to the bone, as immigrants if I did not recognize and appreciate them for all that they sacrificed.
Old 16th January 2013, 06:02
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by moejeau View Post
And in my experience I have never witnessed an example this when visiting with family that were born, raised and live in Edinburgh. As I said before Im Italian Im Scottish (Clan Stewart) Im Irish and Im American,.
Clan Stewart is it , so you are French then
Old 16th January 2013, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by moejeau View Post
It would be insulting to my family members that worked their fingers to the bone, as immigrants if I did not recognize and appreciate them for all that they sacrificed.
this is true....however it still wouldnt give you their nationality would it?

as i said right at the start of this stupid thread....to be scots you have to be born here....its simples.

you may have scottish welsh chinese Azerbaijani ancestors but at the end of the day your american.....everyone should be proud of their ancestory and where their family came from but it doesnt change the facts.

Q.how do we define a scot
A. some one from Scotland
Old 16th January 2013, 14:37

seemplz
Closed Thread