Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

How do we define a Scot?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th July 2011, 05:30

Boy the semantics... and the animosity from previous thread spilling over.

It seems to be whether you define Scot as a national definition... meaning you were born in Scotland. Or... from a DNA standpoint... or a cultural standpoint.

Actually there are many Americans and Canadians with 100% Scottish ancestry despite generations removed. For example, England created a land grant here in NC and many Scots came here during the Clearances which is why this area was bilingual English/Gaelic until recent history. Many did not marry outside other people of Scottish ancestry.

As far as being Scottish descent. That's for the individual to decide and that's a personal choice and no one has the right to deny a person to practice their culture. I, myself, do dance, play shinty, and speak gaelic. That isn't all that encompasses the culture of Scotland but it is what has been passed down to me through my ancestors... despite where I was born, they are my ancestors, and no one can change that.

I do question the motivation behind some of these posts. Are they for reciprocity sake? or is their a motivation to create conflict?

I am usually one to go to bat for the Gaelic cause but I have noticed that many of the posts since I've decided to rejoin the discussion may have ulterior motives and that concerns me. This should be a forum of open discussion in hopes of seeking enlightenment... not a playground to cause strike.

Tig, I think I remember you saying your mother was a Gaelic speaker... I may be wrong. What area was she from?

I will be leaving for Scotland on Wednesday.... everyone please keep their eyes out for a cute, curly haired girl XD
Old 25th July 2011, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromGA View Post
or is their a motivation to create conflict?
i suspect so.
my mother is from waterside just outside kirkintilloch (near glasgow)
theres plenty of cute curly haired girls here but there always room for another one

where you visiting while your here?
Old 25th July 2011, 13:25

I'm sure there are tig but I'm absolutely adorable lol jk

I'm flying in and staying with a friend in edinburgh. We are using his motovan to travel up the western coast of Scotland. Pretty much no real hard itinerary... just enjoying the country as we go.

I'm not big into the tourist areas, but I love meeting people and enjoying the local scene... so that's what I'm shooting for.

I'm flying into Dublin on the 28th and will stay there through the first... then fly to edinburgh... don't know when I'm flying back to Ireland to catch my flight but I leave for the US on the 12th.

Just so happen... flights to Ireland were way cheaper plus I have friends there too

Keep an eye out for me lol
Old 25th July 2011, 13:32

lol....well give me a dunt if your anywhere near glasgow/loch lomond area
Old 25th July 2011, 15:40

Originally posted by JCfromGA

I do question the motivation behind some of these posts. Are they for reciprocity sake? or is their a motivation to create conflict?

In this instance the clear motive was to have a dig at the Scottish members here.

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 26th July 2011, 10:04

Exactamundo !
Old 26th July 2011, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan09 View Post
Exactamundo !
is that gaelic? lol
Closed Thread