Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

Lowland Gaelic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th July 2011, 08:09

Lowland Gaelic

"Gaelic place-names...form the stratum which directly underlies the English place-nomenclature in most parts of Scotland, and their creation over a period of over 1400 years, together with their anglicisation during about half that time, has provided Scottish toponymy with much of its distinctive "Scottishness", perhaps best expressed by such names as "Auchenshuggle" (Glasgow), "Auchtermuchty" (Fife), and "Maggieknockater" (Banff)..."
("Scottish Place-names", WFH Nicolaisen, Batsford publication, 1979, p121)

"It was during this period, probably from about AD 960 onwards, that Gaelic came to be current in Lothian: there is some evidence that it extended beyond the present boundary of Scotland." Page footnote: "Gaelic place-names are found in the north of England."
("The Celtic Placenames of Scotland", WJ Watson, published by Birlinn [!], p 133)

"We look in vain for any hard and fast 'Highland Line' in the minds or actions of these landowning families of the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth centuries...This essentially mixed situation, quite the reverse of black and white, characterised in the late medieval period and in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the gradual disappearance of the eastern Gàidhealtachd. The contribution of the 'western Gàidhealtachd' to the history and culture of Scotland may in some quarters have been sadly misunderstood and underrated, but it has never been in danger of being lost to sight. I would like to balance west with east by highlighting what I believe to have been the historically and culturally permanent contribution of Gaelic language and social organisation to the east of the country and the lowlands in general."
(GWS Barrow, The lost Gàidhealtachd of medieval Scotland, "Gaelic and Scotland/Alba agus a' Ghàidhlig", ed. Wm Gillies, Edinburgh University Press, 1989, p 69)

"Some years ago I heard Gaelic speakers in Arran describe the entire stretch of coastland from Galloway to Ayrshire as part of the Gàidhealtachd. They knew some of the place-names of that region in their Gaelic form; it was traditional knowledge among them that the Gaelic language had been spoken there in the past; and they assumed that, just as in Arran, it had survived to the present day." (p 90)

"...as Lowlanders sometimes complain, Gaelic makes no distinction between English and Lowland Scots linguistically. They both speak Beurla. But beurla meant originally not 'English' but 'speech': the extended designation Beurla Shasannach 'English (speech)' is still to be heard. I must admit that I have never heard this employed to make a contrast with Beurla Ghallda, but when I myself use the latter for Scots (in preference to the dreadful neologism Albais), all Gaelic speakers understand immediately what is intended. In any event, Lowlanders themselves originally referred to their language as 'Inglis'." (pp 92, 93)

"The sense of integrity of the kingdom of Scotland, which I have mentioned already, and a perception of the Lowlands as part of that integrated whole, emerges time and time again in Gaelic tradition. And the integrating principle is a sense of the Gaelic basis of Scotland: realisation, as Dr John Bannerman has put it, of the archetypal role that the Gaels played in the formation of the kingdom." (p 96)

"Consummate, all-embracing hostility is the common interpretation of Alasdair mac Mhaighstir Alasdair's resonant phrase mìorun mór nan Gall 'the great ill-will of the Lowlanders'...it is a reaction towards the whole attack on Gaelic culture, whether expressed in the Statutes of Icolmkill of 1609 or in the S.S.P.P.C.K. schools of the eighteenth century. Mìorun mór nan Gall appears in Alasdair's poem in praise of Gaelic, in which he celebrates Gaelic as the ancient language of Scotland, once spoken by Highlanders and Lowlanders alike, by clerics and laymen, by kings and commons." (pp 96, 97)

"To sum up, the Gaelic perception of the Lowlands is in essential agreement with that of the medieval Scots writers who regard the Gaels of their time as 'contemporary ancestors', people who preserve the language and culture which were once shared by all. But from the Gaelic point of view, we the Gaels are the disinherited, the dispossessed." (p 99)
(John MacInnes, The Gaelic Perception of the Lowlands, "Gaelic and Scotland/Alba agus a' Ghàidhlig", ed. Wm Gillies, Edinburgh University Press, 1989)

Siol nan Gaidheal forum • View topic - Lowland Gaelic
Old 20th April 2013, 18:43

very interesting insights into the gaelic roots of this country. Placenames are traces that can't be denied. Thanks for finding all this information and compiling it here. I don't really get the problems some people have with bi-lingual signs throughout the Highlands as this is only claiming back a bit of the gaelic history.
Old 20th April 2013, 22:44
Quarantined Users

Highland and Lowland is an English language concept. We can see more clearly by looking through an older language. :-)
Old 21st April 2013, 10:14

Absolutely agree, the language reflects the uniqueness and diversity of it's people, be it through expression or stories that have been passed on for generations and generations. Who wants to loose this connection by making everything equal, will loose touch of his own identity. Nothing wrong with English -in England, or as a medium of communication across the boarders (does beurla come from beul? Just a thought) - but it would be a poor world if other nations not only adopt the ursurpers language but also their customs, stories, legends, beliefs and therewith identity. This is a successful tool of warfare. Hopefully the Gaels will remember their own roots and identity by keeping up their language.
Old 21st April 2013, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginevp View Post
I don't really get the problems some people have with bi-lingual signs throughout the Highlands as this is only claiming back a bit of the gaelic history.
over heard 2 guys in Glasgow not that long ago moaning like fekk because the train station signs where bi-lingual
how much does that cost, no wonder its so expensive to get a train etc etc...
one of them was getting quite annoyed about it too.

i was like WTF!!!!!....for all the things going on in the world, if your gripe is they put your native language on a sign then you've got some real issues.
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
over heard 2 guys in Glasgow not that long ago moaning like fekk because the train station signs where bi-lingual
how much does that cost, no wonder its so expensive to get a train etc etc...
one of them was getting quite annoyed about it too.

i was like WTF!!!!!....for all the things going on in the world, if your gripe is they put your native language on a sign then you've got some real issues.
exactly my thought!