Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

Nothing but English ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th January 2011, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusAlba View Post
Wullie, I know dark skinned Scots and one darker skinned Scot (the late and much missed Allie Abassi) was a Gaelic speaking Scot of Asian parentage. The breath of fresh air seems a bit amiss to my logic. e need to see ethnicity and skin tone as separte aspects of being an individual surely?
Many of the "upper class" Omani arabs, from the old families, are whiter than me and I'm a milk bottle !
Old 17th January 2011, 15:04
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan09 View Post
Many of the "upper class" Omani arabs, from the old families, are whiter than me and I'm a milk bottle !
Which emphasises the point about skin colour not denoting whether someone feels Arab or not. The Prophet Muhammad (pbh) had black Muslim converts and lighter skinned Syrians soon took up the ethnicity by becoming Arabised. In Syria, its not uncommon to see blue eyes and red hair. That didnt stop attempts at Pan Arab nationalism between Syria and Egypt.

Last edited by SeamusAlba; 17th January 2011 at 19:37.
Old 17th January 2011, 19:41
Quarantined Users

Palestinians are a good example of the complexity of Arab modern identity. they have genetic and cultural ancestry that stretches back to when Hebrew and Aramaic were spoken in the area, yet they are thoroughly Arab in both language and the influence of the structure of the language on their outlook. This has been leapt on by Zionists to advocate their "not being a people" despite the fact that they clearly had associations with the area that was the British mandate, despite being Arabs. Its a nuanced definition of a human being, as is the case with English, and dependant heavily on the specific context in which the definition is set, as to whether its legitimate or not.

In fact I would argue that the dislike of the Scottish English for that term to define them, says more about their prejudices than anything else.Its a reasonable definition of an English speaking people and doesnt denote that they are from England.

On a further note, Palestinian Arabic has both influenced and been influenced by Israeli modern Hebrew in recent decades.

Last edited by SeamusAlba; 17th January 2011 at 20:01.
Old 17th January 2011, 22:23
Quarantined Users

Quote:
lets pose this question, how Coptically based is modern Egyptian society and how Arabically based?

What has that to do with you erroneous statement
Quote:
a native speaker (like say an Egyptian with Arabic)
Absolutely nothing .
Old 18th January 2011, 00:52
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duthill View Post

Absolutely nothing .

what have your posts to do with sense?

ya3nee mish mumkin atsawwar lilasef!

I cant magine it has anything unfortunately!

la shay ya Habeebee! ma3laysh ya Teez elHimar

Never mind compadre! youre doing your best

Last edited by SeamusAlba; 18th January 2011 at 09:51.
Old 18th January 2011, 01:00
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duthill View Post

Absolutely nothing .
hal kaan gamal 3abdel Naaser ra'eesee 3arabee maSree aw 'obTee maSree? shakSeeyan bakhamman el'awwal wa mish eltaanee. shu beteftaker? muhtem besma3 raddak

was Nasser a an Arabic Egyptian or a Coptic one? Id venture on the former and not the latter. whats your thought? I look forwrd to hearing them
3ala fikra, katabt da bellaHga elmaSriyya wa hiyya bel'akeed 3arabiyya wa mish 'obTiyya.

By the way, this is written in the Egyptian dialect and Im sure its Arabic and not Coptic.

waHda waHda ... mish kida? bna3lam kull shee ma3aan!

Slowly slowly... eh no? well discover the puzzle together!

baHibak kteer belraghm gehalak elDZHaaher!

I like you despite the lack of knowledge youre able to display!

iHna Tulaab wamu3alemaatna Sa3ba 'awee! wa laazem bena3mal Sabooran wa sa3eedan!Hbnekoon naageHeen akheeratan bass Hbetkoon elsefaara Taweela 'awee ya ostaz! baSS nawaathe' benagaHna belnahaay! la betkhaafsh!

We are both students (of life) and our material in question (our information) is awfy ambiguous. so we must be patient my friend! We'll be succesfull in the end but it will be a long journey professor! However I have great confidence in you! Dont stress yourself

baDHak 3indema bashoof kelamak elSughayyera welHelwa! bastamta3 nukat kteer 'awee wa babtasem men rudoodak ya akhee! btaghnee 'albee men maktoobak kul elzaman! salam!

I have to laugh when i read your witticisms, there succinct and quaint! I enjoy your myriad of jokes and smile at your replies my friend! My heart (with laughter) at your many posts here! Salam!

Last edited by SeamusAlba; 18th January 2011 at 09:46.
Old 18th January 2011, 02:10
Quarantined Users

Quote:
what have your posts to do with sense?

Everything