Notices

Nothing but English ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16th January 2011, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusAlba View Post

I define an Arab as an Arabic speaker.
utter poppycock

so if i learn an arabic language ill automatically become an arab then? and will you now admit to being english?
Old 16th January 2011, 17:01
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
utter poppycock

so if i learn an arabic language ill automatically become an arab then? and will you now admit to being english?
To a degree yes. You absorb the world view inherent to the language. For example, the verb is paramount in a sentence in both Arabic and Gaelic

"katab ar arrajul alkitaaba"

"Wrote the man the book"

"Sgriobh an duine an leabhar"

same word order (verb comes first)

Both are action based languages that limit the importance of the individual and emphasise communitarianism. English promotes a consumer mentality.

In other senses you are right, but my emphasis was nuanced to the psychological aspect of language on ethnicially influenced perceptions.

However as a caviat, I meant a native speaker (like say an Egyptian with Arabic)

psychologically, English ideas have entered Scottish society with English expressions through the language. You see this with land ownership commoditisation and the damage to the clan system and depopulation of the Highlands and the role that Scots played in worldwide imperialism (all through and with promotion of English as this thread suggests)

Last edited by SeamusAlba; 16th January 2011 at 17:28.
Old 16th January 2011, 17:16
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromGA View Post
Language is a representation of our cognitive construct... the way we perceive things. So, the language you do speak do speak does effect the way you perceive things. Culture and language are strongly tied. You lose the language of the culture, and you inherently lose parts of that culture. Many cultural perspectives are lost through translation.

I do understand other people's arguments... you're not English because you speak English but as far as your ancient culture, if you lose that language you lose part of your own culture... because speaking English doesn't make you English... just makes you a person missing a lot of your own culture.

Anyways, off on a holiday. I'll see you people when I get back.

Cheers!
Well summarised and happy holidays
Old 17th January 2011, 05:09

Well, I live in an Arab country and from what I understand Arabs are a group of racially related peoples of a semitic racial stock which ironically they historically share with Jews.

Arabic is also spoken in parts of Africa which are not arab countries - Mauretania, Chad, Sudan, Zanzibar etc. Arabic is the language of the Qur'an, so it is used by learned scholars from Pakistan to Malaysia and wherever the Qur'an is used.

Omanis here include Baluchis and Zanzibarians. They are Omanis, Arabic speakers, but are not Arabs.

Last edited by Lachlan09; 17th January 2011 at 05:46.
Old 17th January 2011, 05:55
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusAlba View Post
However as a caviat, I meant a native speaker (like say an Egyptian with Arabic)
Arabic is not the native language of Egypt , Egyptian is , more specficly Coptic .

Last edited by Duthill; 17th January 2011 at 06:19.
Old 17th January 2011, 06:46

With the criticism of English and the erosion of cultures, which I understand has been laid at the door of our neighbours South of Hadrian's Wall, what about the imperialism of American English ?

It is spoken and written and read by many more people across the World than English English. As well as it being overtly in people's faces every day of the week on the box in the corner, in shops, restaurants and cinemas worldwide, the good old PC quietly you use sorts out your spelling for you. Unless you have a British English filter, you will find it automatically "correcting" your text to American-English spelling. At least it doesn't try to sort the syntax too (not yet anyway).
Old 17th January 2011, 09:53

Not tae mention the Sioux noo, or Pawnee Mary of Argyle! Apparently imperialism is bad. There are lots of places were run better under the British than their present dire case! Pakistan for starters. wullie.