Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

The origin of the Scottich

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 4th July 2006, 16:13

I DARE you tae say that tae a Weegie, SJ...
Old 4th July 2006, 17:02

hey, anytime, because that's what it translates into.

Wikipedia has:The city's name
It is common to derive the name Glasgow from the older Brythonic glas cau or a Middle Gaelic cognate, which would have meant green hollow. The settlement probably had an earlier Cumbric name, Cathures; the modern name appears for the first time in the Gaelic period (1116), as Glasgu. However, it is also recorded that the King of Strathclyde, Rhydderch Hael, welcomed Saint Kentigern, and procured his consecration as bishop, which took place about 540. For some thirteen years Kentigern laboured in the region, building his church at the Molendinar Burn, and making many converts by his Christian example and his preaching. A large community developed around him and became known as Glasgu (meaning the dear family). The confusion between the terms is not wholly resolved (Dear Family vs. Dear Green Place vs. Green Hollow).

Dear Green Place (Glaschu) is often misquoted as a Gaelic translation for the city, but this was actually Daniel Defoe's description of the city when he visited in the early 18th century; he also claimed that Glasgow was "the paradise of Scotland and one of the cleanliest and best built cities in Britain." Another writer of the time said of the River Clyde: "I have never seen before any river which for natural beauty can stand competition with the Clyde. Never did a stream glide more gracefully to the ocean or through a fairer region." At that time, the city's population numbered approximately 12,000, and its structures largely consisted of compact wooden buildings, none of which remain today.
Old 4th July 2006, 17:18

Somebody should tell Glasgow city council for as their homepage rightly states "Glasgow is known worldwide as 'The Dear Green Place".

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 4th July 2006, 19:28

And you're a braver woman than I, Eleana.... Most Glaswegians are taught the 'Dear Green Place' description, too.
Old 4th July 2006, 23:25

Thank You, Polwart. I am not afraid to be afraid.

And I am just asking questions...
Old 6th July 2006, 20:57
SherbrookeJacobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwarth
I DARE you tae say that tae a Weegie, SJ...
I think most cities are dull & grey. Even the "green" spaces are just bits in a mass of concrete and asphalt.

So, it wasn't directed in a nasty way at Glasgow - just a comment about urbanity (if that's a word!).

Give me the country any day!
Old 6th July 2006, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeJacobite
I think most cities are dull & grey. Even the "green" spaces are just bits in a mass of concrete and asphalt.

So, it wasn't directed in a nasty way at Glasgow - just a comment about urbanity (if that's a word!).

Give me the country any day!
Yeah. Most cities are boring concrete jungles. Of all the cities i've been to,i'd consider living permanently only in Vancouver and Geneva, primarily because it isnt as dense a concrete jungle as other cities and has 'green forested outdoors' a stone's throw away. Pity it rains so much in Vancouver and Vancouver winters are almost as depressing as English ones.
On the plus side, cities have a lot of cultural activities and you get to meet a lot of unique people.
If only there was a place that combined the cultural activities and diversity of cities with the smalltown charm. I know- there is a place like that ! its called Utopia. Now if only i could find it on the map....