Notices

The Picts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2006, 19:02

Of course, going by your way of thinking they were really "Scottish triads"
Old 3rd April 2006, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan Paint
Interesting, i have heard about Welsh triads before. They were based in the Strathclyde area of Scotland for a while during the Roman occupation, i believe.
Umm - the Welsh Triads are medieval manuscripts, not groups of people. The earliest surviving one was probably written in the 1200's.

*edited afterthought - what's known about the native tribes of Britain during the roman period, plus some of the earliest maps of and descriptions of the geography of the British Isles can be found here. This site is also extremely good, but it focuses more on the native tribes in what's now England and Wales (although their coverage of Roman fortifications in Scotland is good).
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:45

Some of us are too busy reacting to wind ups on other threads to have to time to read it properly Thanks anyway for clearing that up for me.

edit: I'll have a look at the link you posted shortly when i have time. I'm hoping it can tell me something about who the "cruithin" are.
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan Paint
Some of us are too busy reacting to wind ups on other threads to have to time to read it properly Thanks anyway for clearing that up for me.
A brief glance at it is all it would have needed to show what the Welsh Triads are. You didn't even have to check the link - Gustard even said The Welsh triads were written down in medievil times in his post (my bold).....

No, you'll not find much (if anything) about the Cruithin on those links. But if you're interested in broadening your knowledge about early Britain, they are excellent.
Old 3rd April 2006, 22:35

Thanks then i'll have a look, it's always good to broaden your knowledge and i'm quite interested in early history. It's just a shame i can't get any further back than the mid 1700's! Yes i should have noticed that it says they were wrtten down. No harm done, at least I've learned something.
Old 4th April 2006, 16:58

Funnily enough Welsh was actually spoken in strathclyde in times past so there might be something to what you say, though yes the triads are writings as are the Irish triads.
Well theres a saying in English " the only true englishman's a welshman" and perhaps theres some truth in that in an oxymoronic sort of way.
It would be premature to say the picts were irish. however it seems that the cymru (welsh) viewed the picts and the dalraidians to be both "gaelic" peoples but different tribes.
Pwyll mentioned in he above quote is thought to be the coast of Denmark.
The Welsh triads offer an intriguing alternative to Anglo Saxon and Roman sources of history which up until now have beent he only acceptable source.
Some of the triads may go back a very long time (possibly even 10,000 years !) as there there accounts of ice/floods which accord with geological evidence and there are references to people who are know to have existed historicaly and not just mythalogically.
Old 7th April 2006, 19:14

The Welsh claim that King Arthur was Welsh, some say he was Pict, and of course others claimed he was a Saxon before anyone else had time to think! Im not sure how true it is to say the Welsh were in Strathclyde at that time but certainly 'Welsh' (P-Gaelic) speaking tribe(s). Given that there is lots of names etc which suggest a King Aurthur was in Scotland (for example Aurthur's seat is a hill) at this time i wonder if he was a Welsh speaker but based in modern day Scotland? Was Bede a Welsh writer? I've read some of his writings but i'm not sure just how serious they should be taken. I think they were written in the 9th century and these triads appear to have been written at a later date. Of course that doesn't mean much. I wonder when 'Welsh' first appear in Wales. Was it before or after the Romans left? The Saxons appear on the scene just as the Romans are jumping into their boats. Invited here to give us a good kickin i believe Although i don't know how accurate that is, i haven't read much early English history if i'm being truthful.

Here's a messageboard where you can discuss Saxon history for anyone who may be interested: http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Thread/258922