Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

The Picts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th March 2006, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan Paint
is "Erainn" where the name "Eire" comes from? And in turn, is that where we get the name "Ireland" from?
I don't have any of the relevant books to hand, but....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The name Éire is the nominative form in modern Irish of the name for the goddess Ériu, a mythical figure who helped the Gaels conquer Ireland as described in the Book of Invasions. Éire is still used in the Irish language today to refer to the island of Ireland as well as the Republic of Ireland. The dative form Éirinn is anglicized as Erin, which is occasionally used as a poetic name for Ireland in English, and which has become a common feminine name in English.
Old 30th March 2006, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianachan
I don't have any of the relevant books to hand, but....

Thanks i realise we have little or no written evidence from this period which can be reiled upon as fact but given all the annals that were "recorded" i would have thought this was a straight forward question with a straight forward answer but I've even asked on an Irish website but with no luck. It just looks similiar that's why i made the connection.
Old 30th March 2006, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan Paint
Thanks i realise we have little or no written evidence from this period which can be reiled upon as fact but given all the annals that were "recorded" i would have thought this was a straight forward question with a straight forward answer but I've even asked on an Irish website but with no luck. It just looks similiar that's why i made the connection.
You might find this interesting.
Old 30th March 2006, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustard
What is actually historically known about them ? What happened to them ? Are there any scottish names/clans known to be pictish in origin ? Tartans ?
Where they the only ones to use wode ? What of their language do we know anything of it all, its etymology ?
I guess most sources must be roman, but maybe some stories hang around in folklore as well (oral) any way so many questions hope theres some answers !
cheers
Gus
If we knew all this, then historians and archaeologists would be unemployed.
Old 31st March 2006, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianachan
You might find this interesting.

Thanks.
Old 2nd April 2006, 17:52

I recently came across the "welsh triads" who account for the Picts as being a Gaelic people. The historical triads seem to be from an ancient source and accord with historical,geographical and archeological evidence. They were ignored for years as being unverifiable myth ( as most celtic lore was) but have recently been taken more seriously as a source of historical information . Heres a quote worth the read if your interested in such things :

Quote:
There is one passage, however, in the Welsh Triads, which the advocates of the Gaelic hypothesis claim as strongly confirmatory of their theory. After referring to the coming in of the Cymry, the Britons, etc., the Triads go on to say, "Three tribes came, under protection, into the Island of Britain, and by the consent and permission of the nation of the Cymry, without weapon, without assault. The first was the tribe of the Caledonians in the north. The second was the Gwyddelian Race, which are now in Alban (Scotland). The third were the men of Galedin, who came into the Isle of Wight. Three usurping tribes came into the Island of Britain and never departed out of it. The first were the Coranied, who came from the land of Pwyl The second were the Gwyddelian Ffichti, who came into Alban over the sea of Llychlyn (Denmark). The third were the Saxons." "The Triads," says Skene in connection with this, "appear distinctly to have been written previous to the Scottish conquest in the ninth century, and they mention among the three usurping tribes of Britain the ‘Cwy’ddyl Ffichti,’ and add immediately afterwards, ‘and these Gwyddyl Ffichti are in Alban, along the shore of the sea of Llychlyn.’ In another place, among the treacherous tribes of Britain, the same Triads mention the ‘Gwyddyl coch o’r Werddon a ddaethant in Alban,’ that is ‘the Red Gwyddyl from Ireland, who came into Alban,’ plainly alluding to the Dalriads, who were an Irish colony, and who have been acknowledged by all to have been a Gaelic race. It will be observed from these passages that the Welsh Triads, certainly the oldest and most unexceptionable authority on the subject, apply the same term of Gwyddyl to the Picts and to the Dalriads
http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ist/hist2.html

The Welsh triads were written down in medievil times but undeniably contain much older information which was previously transmitted orally :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Triads

There a really fascinating bit about the settling of the british isleas by the various peoples.
Old 3rd April 2006, 18:57

Interesting, i have heard about Welsh triads before. They were based in the Strathclyde area of Scotland for a while during the Roman occupation, i believe. I found another site while i was searching, an Irish website, claiming the Dal Riatian Scots to be Cruithin (Picts). This seems to be a common error that is made. Now you're saying they were Irish. There's an awful lot of confusion on the subject due to lack of 'proof'. All we can do is surmise. I get confused with a lot of it. For example, "Pretani" was a collective name given to the inhabitants of the British Isles. From this Greek word we get the later Roman word "Britanni" later to become "Britions" in English. Well if you read the Declaration of Arbroath it says "The Britons we first drove out". Who then were the Britons? I believe this was the 'Welsh' speaking tribe(s) from Strathclyde. Possibly the triads you mention? So how did they get the name "Briton" when it was originally the name for everyone in the British Isles?