Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

Clans at Bannockburn?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14th April 2005, 19:05

I have seen references in a number of places to clans being represented at the Battle of Bannockburn. Does anyone know of sources for this information? I am particularly interested in Clans Mael-anfhaidh and Cameron.

Moran taing
Old 14th April 2005, 20:10

"I have seen references in a number of places to clans being represented at the Battle of Bannockburn. Does anyone know of sources for this information?"

Highland clans were "represented" there in the form of troops. As were Border clans.

I think Robert de Brus is supposed to have courted a few leaders in the north west, and used Rannoch moor as a base.

A few Irish were there too, although this is little remarked on. And Welsh, although on the other side I think.
Old 15th April 2005, 13:33

I'm on the third book of Nigel Tranter's triology about 'The Bruce' Yes he does have him at Rannoch,as well as many other places. He even visited Ulster in the form of Rathlin Island,he was accompanied by Angus Og.

It was supposed to be that it was there he had his encounter with the spider. But, Nigel Tranter has this happening on the Crags of Doon.

According to these books there were some highland clans with him, notably the McDonalds and the Campbells,but others
including the Ross and McDougall clans were against him.

These books are ficton,based on fact. But they do give you a 'feel' for that time and events. It helps to build up a picture in your 'mind's eye'

Old 15th April 2005, 15:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottish_Republican
"I have seen references in a number of places to clans being represented at the Battle of Bannockburn. Does anyone know of sources for this information?"

Highland clans were "represented" there in the form of troops. As were Border clans.

I think Robert de Brus is supposed to have courted a few leaders in the north west, and used Rannoch moor as a base.

A few Irish were there too, although this is little remarked on. And Welsh, although on the other side I think.
Thanks SR - I am specifically interested in the makeup of those troops. Is there any evidence showing Clan participation - or is it just oral history and Clan lore that has them as participants?
Old 15th April 2005, 16:59

Quote:
Originally posted by SherbrookeJacobite

Is there any evidence showing Clan participation - or is it just oral history and Clan lore that has them as participants?
In Lost Kingdoms-Celtic Scotland and the middle ages:John L Roberts it states "Robert Bruce threw in his own battalion of foot soldiers numbering among its ranks many men from the highlands and western Isles under Angus Og MacDonald".The author cites a number of sources so we can be certain that highlanders were indeed present in the Scots army however the MacDougalls and their allies would not have supported Bruce by virtue of the fact that their chief was related by marriage to the murdered John Comyn.
Old 1st June 2005, 00:18

According to historians C. Rothero and Tim Newark, the following clans are considered represented at Bannockburn and led there by their chiefs:

Cameron,
Campbell,
Chisholm,
Fraser,
Gordon,
Grant,
Gunn,
MacKay,
MacIntosh,
MacPherson,
Macquarrie,
Maclean,
MacLeod,
MacDonald,
MacFarlane,
MacGregor,
MacKenzie,
Menzies,
Munro,
Robertson,
Ross,
Sinclair
Sutherland.

Some in Clan Gunn of NA don't agree, but one has to remember that this battle was coming for over 6 months, probably a year. Everyone in Scotland knew the English were coming to reclaim Stirling Castle, and that Bruce would have to face Edward's powerful English armies.

It is completely in character for the Highlanders, in such a situation, to voluntarliy come down to Falkirk or Stirling to participate in the upcoming battle.

In fact it is known that some Highlanders were turned away because Bruce didn't have enough provisions to feed them all.

Since Mr. Newark, a respected historian and writer of many books, includes all these clans, I do so as well with honest conviction.

Clan Gunn was represented, if not by chiefly order, than certainly by individual members of the clan.

Now keep in mind this list of clans represents only the confirmable Highland clans and there were undoubtedly more.

Other Lowland families were also long time Bruce supporters such as

Keith,
Douglas,
Boyd,
Burnett and others.

In no way is this a complete and final list of clans that took part in the actual battle of Bannockburn, but these are the I will confirm.

Some notable clan exclusions are:

Cumming (Comyn), MacDougall, MacDowell, and MacNab who all fought for the English, and would suffer for it later.

Source: http://members.aol.com/skyelander/bruce1.html
Old 1st June 2005, 08:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Laeg
It was supposed to be that it was there he had his encounter with the spider. But, Nigel Tranter has this happening on the Crags of Doon.
There are about a dozen locations throughout Scotland (and at least 1 in Ireland) that claim to be where Bruce had his encounter with the spider!

As for the clans at Bannockburn, I have seen some of those on The Voyageur's list mentioned, but haven't seen a full list anywhere. Angus Og (Lord of the Isles) was definitely there - as were a number of others as Bruce had spent time in the years before sorting out his support in Scotland... and getting rid of some of those against!