Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

The Battle of Degsastan

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8th February 2005, 06:02

The Battle of Degsastan (603)

I've read this on another Scottish website:

"In 603, the Anglian King Aethelfrith defeated Aedan (Aidan) of the Scots at the Battle of Degastan. Evidence suggests the Britons (later, the Strathclyde Britons) were in league with the Angles. Aethelfrith extended Northumbrian territory as far as the Firth of Forth, forcing the Scots out. The Scots would then turn their aggression and ambition for land on the Picts. And the Picts suddenly had new hostile neighbors in the Scots to the west, the Angles to the south. The Britons seemed to have made a temporary truce with the Angles, playing for time."

I like and enjoy this other Scottish website immensely. However, I've read elsewhere that the Britons fought WITH the Scots AGAINST the Angles at the Battle of Degsastan in 603. Anybody here know if the Britons militarily assisted the Angles in defeating the Scots in the Battle of Degsastan in 603?

Yours truly,

J.A.M.

Old 12th February 2005, 00:52

I think the Brythons tended to side with the Scots on this, although it is not unlikely there were a few on both sides... a lot of the so called "Anglian" territory such as Deira and Bernicia bore Brythonic names, and the culture might have survived there for a long tim.e
Old 12th February 2005, 02:56

Thanks for the answer, S_R. This was a decisive battle in British history. If the Angles had been defeated, the history of these islands may have been different.

Old 12th February 2005, 12:23

Yes and no. There were a series of skirmishes like this, and it's arguable which had the most effect.

In actual fact, what happened a few centuries later was when the Normans invaded England, Scotland took a good chunk of the north of it. David I had his capital at Carlisle.
Old 12th February 2005, 15:39

Degastan wasn't such a decisive battle.It resulted not from the Anglo-Saxons seeking to expand their territories but from their King seeking to establish his dynastic rights over the Scots.The decisive battle against the Northumbrians was the battle of Nechtanesmere (also known as Dunnichen) in 685 AD when the Picts destroyed the Northumbrian army and were thereby able to expand southwards as far as the Lothians.The defeat of Northumbria also relieved the pressure against the Scots and the Britons of Strathclyde and sowed the seeds of a Scottish nation which was free from English dominion.
Old 12th February 2005, 16:57

From what I understand, the Battle of Degsastan resulted from Scottish, not Angle expansionism. It's too bad the Scots lost. History may have been different as a result. Oh well, at least the Picts routed the Angles at Nechtanesmere, thereby ensuring eventual Scottish independence.
Old 18th February 2005, 03:16

well that's just another fork in the road... and you never know what could have been if...

I think tribes have changed their loyalties around often. Andy, I think you cannot talk about English back in 640 AD.

Hm, when would we call the English as English?