Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

Culloden 1776 - Clans and Septs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th March 2003, 00:59

Does anyone have a listing of Clans and Septs that fought at Culloden in 1776, and what happened to the Clan /Sept survivors following this battle?

Robert Donabie
Ontario, Canada

Old 6th April 2003, 20:01

Hi there, I think you do mean 1746, or have I missed anything???

If you give me your postal address, I could send you a sketch of the battle, containing all forces on both sides in their order of battle.

The clans involved were innumerous, some mixed regiments consisted of varieties of clansmen, there were not only Scots (I am at the moment still talking of the jacobite side), there were English and French, too, and some Polish and descendants of Scots who had left Scotland after a previous jacobite "rebellion".

The most famous jacobite clans of Culloden are:

Macdonald, MacDonnell of Keppoch, MacDonnell of Sleat, ClanRanald, MacLean, Gordon, Macleod, Cameron (Lochiel), Macintosh, Farquhuarson, Lovat, Cluny, Stewart (Appin), Atholl (with Graham detatchment, McGregor. Many, many more would need mentioning here, I could send you some more material by mail, since I am too lazy for writing more.

Among the Jacobite prisoners after Culloden, names like Cochrane, Fraser, MacGilvary. Frasers are found on both sides, which shows the tragedy of it all.

Not all Scottish clans took part in this war. Not all of the clans who joined were pro jacobite. Mention the Campbells as one of the main force on the Anti-jacobite side. But they were not the only ones.

Afterwards, many Scots (also from both sides) left Scotland, jacobites were imprisoned, some tortured and executed (among them also Englishmen).

Of the exiled jacobites, it would take ages to tell where they went and what they did, this is another chapter of history.

For a long time, the end of the battle of Culloden, was the end of Scottish clans as such.

Old 22nd April 2003, 21:06

Smile Battle of Culloden

Jacobitedreamer,

Thank you so much for your letter. There was a lot of very useful information concerning Scottish surname origins.I am currently composing a letter to you in return, about my Scottish family connections.

Donabie-Donachie
Old 24th April 2003, 15:01

Re: Battle of Culloden

Quote:
Originally posted by Donabie-Donachie
Jacobitedreamer,

Thank you so much for your letter. There was a lot of very useful information concerning Scottish surname origins.I am currently composing a letter to you in return, about my Scottish family connections.

Donabie-Donachie
Ever happy if I can be of help.

Old 14th May 2003, 20:42

Re: Re: Battle of Culloden

Quote:
Originally posted by jacobitedreamer
Quote:
Originally posted by Donabie-Donachie
Jacobitedreamer,

Donabie-Donachie
Ever happy if I can be of help.
That's a very good description Jacobitedreamer if you don't mind my saying so. A lot of people can't resist trying to turn it into Bannockburn Part 2.

Donabie - it's one of the most moving places in the country to visit by the way - but it's hard to say why as there isn't much to see - utterly desolate and a real sense of history there.
Old 9th April 2004, 23:32

Try and get a copy of 'No Quarter Given; The Muster Role of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's Army, 1745-46'.
Edited by Alastair Livingstone of Bachuil, Christian W. H. Aikman & Betty Stuart Hart.
ISBN 1-903238-02-1