Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > History

Notices

Local History

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7th August 2002, 17:45

Wink Local history around Berlin...

... has for instance the site of what once was the concentration camp of Ravensbrück where women and children were murdered and abused for medical research. Interesting enough that some politicians want to tear it down and build a shopping center there now...

Other, not so terrible thing is the Lord of Kampehl (which sounds quite similar to Campbell if you pronounce it right )who was accused of having murdered one of his peasant farmers. He claimed to be innocent and said that if he was guilty, his body should not rot after death. Some more than 200 years have passed and you can still go and see his mummyfied body. There are several places where people were found mummyfied, due rather to the wind and the climate than to spooky doings.

Berlin itself has some interesting aspects concerning the tribes (Wendish and Slav)that ruled this area before the Germans. Most of interesting historic architecture has been consumed by WW II.

Old 9th August 2002, 08:35

What a touching story - thanks for sharing it!
Old 24th June 2008, 07:58

MacRobert family in Scotland

I live in Eugene, Oregon, USA. My name is Cathy Claussenius.

My great-grandmother was Mary Katherine MacRobert. She was the sister of Sir Alexander MacRobert. Mary Katherine immigrated to Oregon, USA, married George Fichtner and had two daughters, one was Beatrice Anita. Beatrice was my grandmother. I know that Alexander MacRobert has no living descendants, but what about his other siblings?

In the next year or so, I would love to go to Scotland and visit your beautiful country. My grandmother was very proud of her Scottish heritage and I would like to take my daughter (she is now 13) with me.

I would like to see if I can contact any living relatives there - descendants of Alexander's and Mary Katherine's siblings.

Thank you for reading this.

Cathy C.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:19

Cathy C
You would probably be best served by starting a new thread with your query, because the thread is really old and the previous post to yours was waaaaaay back in 2002!

Good luck with your research - if you have dates etc, then using the GRO's records you should be able to find out more info - there is a charge involved, but it is not too steep, particularly if you marshall all your questions BEFORE going online and paying the fee!
General Register Office for Scotland
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:28

I am very amused just now because something my Dad asked me to look up today was all about MacRobert's Reply and about William Reid, V.C., because of his going to same school as dad. It seemed quite funny to have Scotland.com show up with a good post from Neil Caple. Many thanks in retrospect, Neil!