Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Health

Notices

B12 Deficiency Can Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th September 2013, 07:00

B12 Deficiency Can Kill

I'm posting this in the Health section but the thread could possibly be of interest to most people on this board.

B12 deficiency ultimately causes death if not diagnosed correctly or is inadequately treated. Prior to death it causes numerous neurological problems from depression to anxiety to muscle weakness to vision issues. The problems it can cause are too numerous to list.
This is not surprising since b12 is essential to nerves and cells.

This is not news, it is old medical history. It is the reason that the men who discovered a treatment for it (liver) back in 1926 were awarded the Nobel Prize. It is the reason that Edinburgh University awarded the same men the Cameron Prize.

Yet doctors in the 21st century treat this condition as if it is trivial. They give out medication that is unsuitable in both type and quantity.
Currently in Scotland, and despite their historical appreciation of this illness, they have no medical guidelines for either diagnosing or treating it.

Most doctors, if they even test for it, will only prescribe medication that pushes b12 serum levels in the blood up. This does nothing to stop the deterioration of nerves and cells. When patients report they still have remaining symptoms they will either have tests done for other 'neurological illnesses of unknown cause' or they will be deemed emotional hysterics.

If you know someone who is suffering from anxiety, depression, dementia, MS, a child with autism, one of the neurological conditions that are of unknown cause, then, since it is now estimated that b12 deficiency could affect 1/3 of the population, you may actually be looking at someone with b12 deficiency.

There is a relatively new documentary film out on Youtube. It gives the cases of 4 patients who were on the point of death before b12 deficiency was correctly diagnosed. One of them is a doctor and he is shown in his diaper with his feeding tube in place. He openly admits, that he too was ignorant of what b12 deficiency could do.

Don't be fooled by the term vitamin - we need them to sustain life. This is serious stuff.

This is the link to the video, if you can set aside time to watch it, please do. Numerous people on other forums have found it very helpful.
Also, if you do feel the urge to pass this on to other people, feel free - you could save a life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEizypoyO0
Old 26th September 2013, 22:23
Super Moderator

I like many vegetarians have taken B12 for years !!

My hubby - non vegetarian also has B12 prescribed by the doc !!!
Old 27th September 2013, 06:09

I think Babz that you might not have watched the film?

It is about malabsorption issues with b12 not about diet, although it can be caused by dietry insufficiency as well.

If your husband is not a vegetarian and has been prescribed b12 then there must be a reason for it. If he's not veggie, then it must be malabsorption and the film may benefit him tremendously.

This is life and death information, it's not a discussion about lifestyle choices.

Nice cat.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:04
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytee View Post
I think Babz that you might not have watched the film?

It is about malabsorption issues with b12 not about diet, although it can be caused by dietry insufficiency as well.

If your husband is not a vegetarian and has been prescribed b12 then there must be a reason for it. If he's not
veggie, then it must be malabsorption and the film may benefit him tremendously.

This is life and death information, it's not a discussion about lifestyle choices.

Nice cat.

That's where you are wrong I watched/listened to the the film(to watch it for nearly an hour is longer than
I will sit still), I don't usually do youtube !!!!!

There are no if's about my hubby not being vegetarian he loves his beef, pork and lamb.
We do know the reason he is prescribed Vit B12

I get the impression that you think vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice , it may be for some but other's
like me simply cannot eat anything that has any animal products and by-products.

Have to say I did research all things that I may have needed(then and in the future) to take as
supplements when the diagnosis was made for me and as soon as I could got it all sorted.

I will say the film goes on too long, it could be shown in less time with good editing.
Interesting as it is I can see many not watching/listening to the end but they will say they have.

I have told a few people about it so hope that they do watch the film !

Suki is my mad cat, my dad calls her 'Evil Edna'
Old 27th September 2013, 16:51

You are quite right, lots of people don't watch to the end.
As they say, you can take a horse to water....
Myself I can't quite get my head round that. If I was ill, or I'd got a relation with dementia or MS, or had a sick child, I'd want to learn as much as I could. It's 53 minutes of your life. But I know some people don't watch it through. When it first came out a woman with a child having the exact same symptoms as the little boy in film came on one of the boards all of a panic. We gave her the link, explained how urgent everything was and she said she might watch it after the weekend....??????

You sound as if you have a similar problem as the first case in the film, JJ. He was well known a few years ago for being bedridden.

If your GP is giving your husband supplementation then, as I'm sure you realise, as long as it's 1000mcg/1mg + per day (if it's oral) then he should be okay.
Since there are no medical guidelines at all in Scotland for treating this illness and as many as 1 in 3 people could be affected, not many doctors get it right. They only give enough to raise serum in the blood, but the cellular deterioration continues.

Currently looking after someone else's cats - 6 of 'em.
Old 27th September 2013, 19:00

I'll put this link up as well in case anyone wants to check out symptoms.
It's an interactive symptom checker designed by a GP in the UK who has worked for many years fighting the corner for B12 patients.

I hope the link goes up okay because we are in for a storm and my system isn't picking things up properly...

B12 Signs & Symptoms Assessment | B12 deficiency Support Group (Reg Charity 1146432)
Old 1st November 2013, 08:00

Babz did you manage to do anything about the vit b12 thing?