Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Health

Notices

Obesity in Scotland

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th March 2012, 19:18
Super Moderator

I looked at these questions(can't do it as in England) and I thought that a child had set most of
the questions !

How can obesity be monitored like this...there are many factors concerning people's weight and
eating is not always the reason for weight gain....thyroid trouble is a good example of this...I know
as suffer with this !!

I do eat good healthy food and am also a vegetarian so if there are Scots out there that are also
vegetarians their answer to your fish and burger questions are useless.

A better question would have been to ask about vegetarianism first and also have the meat questions
with the option of a N/A answer

I also wondered about the financial question !
Old 30th May 2012, 15:13

This doesn't answer her question either, but i find it an interesting subject.

I have a blended family now, (Scottish and American) and we've all had to adjust our eating habits. In learning more about Scottish cookery and food, I've found areas that are not-so-healthy, and other staples that are quite wonderfully healthy. I try to come up with meals that my family enjoys but also encourages health, and limit our fish and chips to once in a while.

This is just from my perspective, but the foods we try to limit are: beef, deep-fried foods, organ meats, white breads, sweeties, puff pastry and other pastry.

Foods we encourage: oatmeal and baking with oats, cold water fish, cabbage, neeps (i.e. yellow turnip or rutabaga), carrots, mushrooms, leeks, barley, brussle sprouts, broccoli (not exactly traditional but they ate lots there), rhubarb, strawbs, rasps, apples, peas, lentils (non-traditional),

We don't eat much lamb but mostly because of the price in our area (twice or more the cost of beef!)

We're undecided about potatoes but we eat them often.

And we have a funny story about kale. Everything i read told me it was a traditional Scottish staple, but Cameron had never heard of it or had it. Once when he was in the Borders he started looking for it in shop after shop, finally asking someone who said, "Och! We feed it to animals." He finally found some though and had it for the first time there, and now that we are here in the states we grow it in our garden, love it and eat it often! Anyway, at least in the south of Scotland, not many in our acquaintance know what it is anymore.