Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Health

Notices

Ginger - Celebration or Cure ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th May 2011, 05:16

Ginger - Celebration or Cure ?

South Park apparently created a whole new (unwelcome) interest in people with ginger (or red) hair. There’s also a classic You Tube item, much remixed, of an American red-head complaining bitterly about school bullying because of his hair.

Is it mainly an American thing ? I don’t recall there being a problem in Scotland with it, kids at school with orange hair were often nicknamed “Ginger” but not as an insult, same way boys called Charles were called “Chick” and smaller lads sometimes called “Titch”. Obviously, Ireland is the same. Maybe it’s because there’s so many and they’re part of the historic background.

In London and Essex etc I personally recall some red hair animosity especially among the football fraternity, who sometimes referred vitriolically to supporters from Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle etc “ginger Northern b*****ds !”

I must admit I find that dark red auburn hair very nice (esp for women) but I have to be honest, curly orange hair does put me off a bit (esp on women) though I’d never say !

So what’s the story ? Is there a genuine dislike of ginger hair ?
Old 28th May 2011, 10:21
Quarantined Users

Yeah , it has reared it's ugly head over here in the last few years 'Ginga' baiting . Dunno why .

In the past it was no big thing , apart from as you say , the obvious nickname for the redhead concerned.
My eldest brother was called GB (ginger balls) by his mates during his teenage years.
I did some contract work for a farmer who was known to all and sundry as 'Brick' . I reckon he got off lightly there , his surname was 'Sherwood'
Old 28th June 2012, 08:06

I think males with ginger hair nearly always get picked on especially at school. It seems different for red headed women which I've always found attractive as long as their hair isn't curly.
Old 12th September 2012, 16:25

I suppose it's simply because they're a minority. There are certain red headed people who are very attractive as well, so it's a nonsense.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."
Old 12th September 2012, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Republican View Post
I suppose it's simply because they're a minority. There are certain red headed people who are very attractive as well, so it's a nonsense.

totally true.
it is just nonsense
real people are not vain enough to dislike people because of their hair colour.

Old 2nd October 2012, 15:56

red hair

In regards to red hair me being one myself there was some taunting at school the usual name calling but I dont see it as a problem and dont really care what folk think about it. I always get guys interested cause of my colour of hair.
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:14

i dont think this is a new "issue"...i can remember people getting called ginger nuts or ginger minger when i was a kid.

every kid gets a ribbing for some reason or other...specky, fatty, skinny, manky etc etc but 9 out of 10 times its just horseplay so no one cares and no harm is done....just depends on the level of it i suppose...i dont think anyone has ever been beat up or anything for being a ginge