Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Health

Notices

Americans Sicker Than English

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:26

The last ranking carried out by the world health organisation put healthcare in the US at number 37 behind third world countries like Costa Rica, Dominica and Morocco. That is scandalous considering the fact that the US has a bigger health budget than any other country on the planet. I would blame that on the government if I were American because it means that billions of Dollars are being squandered to provide sub standard health care. The buck stops with the politicians who control the health budget. If a similar situation existed in the UK heads would roll which is why I'm perplexed about the negative attitudes some Americans have towards health care reform - surely it's a matter of necessity.

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:53

Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew-C
Health Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY-J3 View Post
The last ranking carried out by the world health organisation put healthcare in the US at number 37 behind third world countries like Costa Rica, Dominica and Morocco. That is scandalous considering the fact that the US has a bigger health budget than any other country on the planet. I would blame that on the government if I were American because it means that billions of Dollars are being squandered to provide sub standard health care. The buck stops with the politicians who control the health budget. If a similar situation existed in the UK heads would roll which is why I'm perplexed about the negative attitudes some Americans have towards health care reform - surely it's a matter of necessity.
Andy
First of all the"government" only deals with Medicare and Medicaid which protect all over sixty-fives.Every one else is covered by either Medical insurance from their employer or privately purchased for themselves,which is a mighty expensive proposition.There are HMO's "health maintenance organizations that controll the majority of all hospitals,and are making the Hospitals and doctors very rich.There are millions of people that that never see a doctor because they cannot afford medical treatment,then they get so sick they wind up in a charity situation and wind up as data on the health report to the world.Yes Americans love Mickey D's not because of the quality but because at those prices they get to eat.
America has the finest medical system in the world,everyone that can arrange it comes here for surgery mainly because they are the only ones that can afford it.I have lots of relatives in the UK.and I hear lots of complaints about your healthcare,treasure it it is a lot better than ours.President Obama has tried to change things but they will not give him a chance.The rest of the government is trying to prove that a black President will not work.When I left the UK in 1952 a very old friend of my Mother told me America is a wonderful place to live just don't get sick.
Old 8th February 2010, 18:14

Matthew-C,
Thanks for the insight into US healthcare. I would have thought that free market economics would have ensured a more efficient health service in the US but I get the impression that many health care providers in America are motivated by making a quick buck at the expense of the tax payer. I've always believed that free healthcare for all is a fundamental right and I don't mind paying national insurance stamps to help maintain the UK health service, and the private sector is available for those who can afford it. The British NHS isn't perfect but I think it's an institution we can take some pride in - you won't go bankrupt in the UK just because you have to pay for medical treatment.

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 8th February 2010, 23:33

Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew-C
Healthcare

Andy
There two main reasons we don't have a national medical plan,The majority of people do not want the government involved in their affairs period.
Only 60% of the population votes,as an example,more people watched the final of Dancing with Stars than voted.so they get whatever government they deserve.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:07

i wonder why the lunatics in congress passed it when most people didnt want the new law-theyll just get voted out in 5 months
Old 18th August 2010, 16:11

Spam is disgusting! loaded not only with fat but tons of sodium and probably nitrates, nitrites, and a bunch of unpronouceable chemicals.

I'm a very health concious American and I never eat fast food. I also read all labels before I buy stuff. I exercise daily and never smoked or drank much alcohol.

I'm ancient which is why my health is not the greatest. Sure when I was younger I ate fast food and stuff I shouldn't have but you can't blame all your troubles on your childhood.

If we'd just back away from the keyboard now and then and get out and do something, we'd all be better off. Of course right now with the outside temp close to 110 F there's not much outdoors time... I still go out and water the plants that are still alive but my walking is done mostly indoors unless I get up and 5am and walk in the dark. heh heh.
Old 18th August 2010, 16:39

Spider, get yourself a bloc of Spam, cut it into wee squares, stick them on a cocktail stickwith pineapple chunks & pickled onions, and pour yersel a good drink! get a life man, and stop reading labels! wullie m