Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Health

Notices

Why I Hate Pictures like this

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th January 2006, 10:19

Why I Hate Pictures like this

Dogs eat cat Feces all the time
then people let them lick their faces

Human infection with Toxocara, the parasitic larvae of canine or feline roundworms, is known as visceral larval migrans (VLM) systemically and ocular larva migrans (OLM) when it affects the eye.

Two nematode larvae can cause toxocariasis. Both are round worms found in the intestines of dogs (T. canis) and cats (T. cati). About 20% of dogs release Toxocara canis in their stool. Patients can become infected after accidentally swallowing infective Toxocara eggs from larvae in soil or other contaminated surfaces. Puppies usually contract Toxocara canis from the mother before birth or from her milk. The larvae mature rapidly in the puppy's intestines and when the pup is three or four weeks old, they begin to produce large numbers of eggs that contaminate the environment through the animal's stool. The eggs soon develop into infective larvae. Contraction occurs from ingesting contaminated soil or feces.

Once ingested, the eggs hatch and larvae penetrate the intestinal wall and are then carried by the circulation to various tissues--liver, heart, lungs, brain, muscle, eyes--via blood and lymph. Ingested eggs may remain viable for years. While the larvae do not develop further in these sites, they can cause severe local inflammatory reactions.

With the ocular form, one or more larvae become trapped in the eye, causing a granuloma in the retina. The nematode may reside beneath or within the retina, or it may extend into the choroid or vitreous. It may remain viable for several years in the eye. It can cause blindness.

I love Dogs but I wish people would not let them lick the faces of children
Old 26th January 2006, 18:04

hahahahha!

You know, there is such a thing as TOO MUCH information!
Old 19th February 2012, 00:41

I have never understood why some dog owners let them lick their faces. This might be a bit controversial but from a very young age I have always had a dislike for dogs. They can be very unhygienic and many of them have odours which are rather unpleasant.

I also think that many dogs and their owners who don't clean up in public areas are pests, especially in urban areas. Maybe at some point in the future dog fouling will become as socially unacceptable like smoking in pubs and drink driving.
Old 20th February 2012, 04:42

I think for owners to let their dogs crap without cleaning up is illegal in some countries (don't ask me which !). You can bet it is illegal in Singapore where any sort of messing up the streets is punishable with fines.

Here in arab-land stray dogs (wadi-dogs which often roam around in small groups) are often culled by the polis with rifles, especially in posher areas. arabs and dogs don't get along too well anyway (which is a good reason to have one). Go to a supermarket and you'll see lots of varieties of cat food but just a few cans of Pedigree or Simba dog food.
Old 10th June 2014, 05:03

Also the fur can cause cough especially to the children.