Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

Famous Ancestors

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30th January 2008, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan3932 View Post
You must really want to find your royal ancestry then Lol...
No danger of that sunshine - I can trace my lot back to the 1600's, and they're peasants every one I'm proud to say. Farm labourers, shoemakers, weavers, railwaymen (in the 19th century) - and every second generation is illegitimate - a fact of which I am inordinately proud. My family has always been known as "a shower of *******s", and I have documentary evidence to prove it now.

Edit:
I see the Murcan nannybot has been at work again - why are Murcans so afraid of a few innocent wee words, yet apparently quite willing to bomb entire races of people off the planet? A strange dichotomy...

My family, of course, are "a shower of barstewards"...
Old 30th January 2008, 10:27

My family's ancestry was mostly Dominies, lawyers and doctors. Much the same as the day, really! And, unlike a certain wee Belgie nyaff, we really ARE Stewarts!

I KNEW my mentioning Wallace would set you off!
Old 30th January 2008, 11:55

Ackshully, if yi gae back tae aboot page 3, thir's some tube claimin tae be a Wallace descendant err, Pol... Wan born evry minit, eh 'spect...
Old 30th January 2008, 12:55

Mair like.... every second..
Old 30th January 2008, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNonnyMoose View Post
No danger of that sunshine - I can trace my lot back to the 1600's, and they're peasants every one I'm proud to say. Farm labourers, shoemakers, weavers, railwaymen (in the 19th century) - and every second generation is illegitimate - a fact of which I am inordinately proud.
I have also traced my family to the early 1600's (with some help though) and very late in the 1500's (specifically 1595), and they are pretty much all common folk as well (in the 19th century at least) Loggers, Fishermen, a Cooper, etc.

Ryan
Old 30th January 2008, 17:59

Very few of the OPR's go back to the late 1500's and they're pretty hard to read so good going on that. Occupations are usually mentioned in the marriage banns even that far back though, so you should have a good idea of what your ancestors were doing back in the 1600's at least.

Don't take the slagging you've had to heart, we're a bit like this with anyone coming straight on here declaring that they're the descendant of some famous figure from 700 years ago... At least you haven't made that mistake (yet!).

One thing I have pointed out time and time again though, is that if you go back 7 centuries, you have approximately 28 million ancestors (don't have the file to hand so can't quote you the exact figure). So if one of them is vaguely famous, you MAY (and note MAY - only the mother ever knows who the actual father of a child was!) contain one twenty-eight millionth of that person's DNA.

Not what you'd really call a statistically significant figure, I think you'll agree... And I certainly wouldn't go boasting about a figure that low!
Old 30th January 2008, 18:13

Yeah.