Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

James MELVILLE migrated to U.S. from Stirling in 1804

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4th March 2002, 15:26

Searching for information on James MELVILLE, who had migrated to the United States in 1804 from Stirling. He had a son by the name of Alexander who married Sarah Douther WALLACE. I wish I could provide more information.

Thank You,
Jack Crosley
jcrosley@attbi.com
Old 7th March 2002, 02:46

Have you tried a search on http://www.familysearch.org? This is the LDS church site and has lots of info. It's quick easy and free. It that doesn't turn up anything let me know and I can suggest some other places to check out.

Do you have a birth date by any chance? And was he born in Stirling?

Old 11th March 2002, 19:03

James MELVILLE

Hello Mamie,
Thanks so much for responding. Yes, I have tried the LDS reference, but to no avail. The only reference I have to James MELVILLE is that he migrated to the United States in 1804 from Stirling, Scotland. I have no records as to his birth or death. His Grandson was Rear Admiral George Wallace Melville USN. He was a famous Arctic Explorer (Jeannette Expedition 1879-1881) and naval engineer.

Are there any records from Stirling for that time period?

I did make an inquiry with the Central Scotland Parishes
Family History Project operated by Tony Murray
(genealogy@stirling.co.uk) but have not heard back from them yet.

Thanks Again,
Jack Crosley
jcrosley@attbi.com
Old 11th March 2002, 19:32

Records fron 1804

The General Register Office will have some records and they are online and you can do a free name search to see is anything fits with what you do know. It's a pay service for anything else but is reasonable 10 pounds via credit card for 24 hours access and "30 pages" of data. I don't have their url handy but I usually access through http://www.cyndilists.com from the Scotland section.

Cyndislist if you don't know it is a website of worldwide websites related to geneaology. A gateway to loads of info.

The Central Scotland Parishes FH project should come up with something if he was born in one of the parishes covered. If you have Parish locality the GROS site will be very good. Many of their records from what I understand are arranged by Parish. Dates and parished make the seach much easier. Have you tried any of the shipslists on the net? If he was on one of those ships you could at least have a year or two to work with as his age would probably be listed if a passenger.

I afraid I'm working mostly in Caithness for my research and have been in contact with a geneaologist who has done extensive research on the Rosie family and others in Caithness. Check Cyndis List for anohter FHS around Stirling specifically and other websites about the area. I just recently made contact with relatives in Australia through the http://www.caithness.org website. This website covers most everything about Caithness including geneaolgy and history. Maybe there is something similiar for Stirling.

Have you tried other message boards eg. Rootsweb (the ones in post below are for Scottish Melvilles)

Good Luck -with only the basic info you're going to need it.

[Edited by Mamie on 12th March 2002 at 00:22]

Old 12th March 2002, 01:20

To subscribe send "subscribe" to clan-melville-l-request@rootsweb.com (mail mode) or clan-melville-d-request@rootsweb.com (digest mode).
Have you looked at these message boards?

Old 6th July 2002, 11:21

Hi,
My gggrandmother was Margaret Melville from Stirlingshire --perhaps we belong to similar branches. Margaret married John McKendrick in Stirlingshire sometime in the 1840's I think. If you have any information re the Melvilles prior to 1804 that you would be comfortable emailing me, the info would be much appreciated!
Thank you,
Morag McKendrick