Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

trying to find family name/any information

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th October 2001, 17:55

Smile

I live in upstate NY-20 miles from the Canadian border. Most of my father's family came from Canada, Ireland & I think Scotland. My gggrandfather's last name was McCallops. However I believe it once was MacKillop. I belive the pronouncing of the name was lost once the family arrived in the states-somewhere around the late 1700s early 1800s. My great-great grandfahters name was Samual. I believe his family came from Scotland,sailed to Vermont or Mass. then to upstate NY area. If anyone has information on the name please email me.
Thank you
Carol
Old 28th October 2001, 18:18

Mac Killop is a sept of the Clan Mac Donald

MacDONALD

Motto: Per mare per terras (By sea and by land)

Origin of name: Gaelic Domhnull (World ruler)

The King of Norway, Magnus Barefoot, came to Scotland in 1098. He successfully managed to claim the Isles and Kintyre from Edgar, the King of the Scots.

King Somerled reclaimed the Isles and Kintyre in 1148. Somerled's son Dougall succeeded him to the throne in 1164 when he was killed.

The Clan MacDougall came from Dougall. Dougall's son Ranald had a son, Donald, who was the ancestor of the great Clan MacDonald.

Alasdair MacDonald and his mother were imprisoned in 1427 by James I, while many other MacDonalds were executed. When Alasdair MacDonald was released two years later, he raised a rebellion and burned Inverness, for which he was jailed again in Tantallon. He was later freed and became Earl of Ross in 1435 as the clan entered a prosperous new era.

This all changed in 1495, however, as a devastating campaign of anarchy and terror swept through the MacDonald lands. Many of the MacDonalds perished at the hands of the Campbells and the Gordons, particularly during the most notorious incident, the Glencoe massacre.
Just a little bit of info for you

Marhar