Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

AITKEN FAMILY

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 1st July 2001, 21:32

Question

I AM TRYING TO LOCATE ANY FAMILY BY THE NAME OF AITKEN. MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER WAS AGNES AND SHE HAD 2 DAUGHTERS, MARGARET AND AGNES AND 5 SONS, WILLIAM, BOB, ALEC, JOCH, COLIN. MY GREAT GRANDFATHER WAS KILLED AT AN EARLY AGE BY ELECTROCUTION. MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER TRAVELED TO AMERICA WITH AGNES AND MARGARET AND COLIN. THEY LIVED IN JOHNSTONE. I HAVE A COUSIN MAGGIE WHOM I USED TO WRITE TO MANY YEARS AGO AND HAVE LOST TOUCH. WOULD LIKE TO CONTACT HER OR ANY FAMILY AS I AM TRYING TO DO FAMILY TREE.
Old 8th April 2004, 19:53

Smile aitken in aus

Good luck to you. I am interested in finding Aitken relatives too. Do you know if any of your family emigrated to Australia?
Old 27th June 2004, 02:16

Aitken

There are Aitkens in our family. Perhaps Terry Stewart at tds@myplace.net.au can help.
Old 10th October 2005, 18:52

Aitken Family

Hi.....my maiden name is Aitken. I know that my father's great grandfather was a glass blower from Glasgow. He came to America and settled in Illinois where some relatives still live. A little town called Troy Grove in LaSalle County, Illinois. My father's grand father was John Aitken. My father's father was Walter Scott Aitken. He married Mary Jane Roe. They had three children, Walter Verne (my dad), Howard (died young) and Violet. Walter Scott died by gunshot wound April 7, 1921. My father, Walter Verne Aitken, died 26 years ago in Denver, Colorado from complications of cancer.
Old 10th October 2005, 20:57

Aitken family

Hi
Here are the Aikens I know from Scotland, I have dates for some but not for others. There was a James Aiken who married Sarah Barton. Sarah was a first cousin of my great grandfather George Irving. The lived in the area south of Lockerbie Scotland.
John Aiken was born in 1848 in Bathgate Scotland. Sarah was born in 1851 in Eccelfesham, Dumfries. They had 6 Children, Janet (Jessie) born in 1879, Marion (Mern) born in 1881, Thomas Barton Aiken born in 1884, John Aiken born in 1886, James Aiken born in 1888 and Peter Aiken born about 1874

The father James was a gardener and Master Carter, and he was born at Silvermines Farm. I do have the rest of that family but it appears that all except one died in the British Iles. And he died in France.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help

Magaret
Old 19th October 2005, 18:10

Exclamation Aitken Family

Hi.....I left a message about my Aitken roots and had an error. My father's grandfather was James M. not John. My great-greatgrandfather was John and was the glass blower from Glasgow. John died in Illinois at approximately 100 years of age. Unfortunately I do not know any dates. James M. Aitken was born September 16, 1852 and died in 1943 in Illinois. He was a farmer. His children were Walter Scott (my grandfather) born in 1896, Arthur G., Nora and Daisy. Nora resided in Joliet Illinois and Daisy resided in Halstead Minnesota. Walter Scott married Mary Jane Roe on Nov 2, 1914. Their childrren were Walter Verne (my father) born Aug 21, 1915, Howard born 1917 and died May 10, 1918 and Violet. Violet lives here in Colorado. I am trying to find more information on James M and his father, John. Trying to get the family back to Scotland and any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully my information might be helpful to someone else.
Old 11th January 2014, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie9 View Post
Good luck to you. I am interested in finding Aitken relatives too. Do you know if any of your family emigrated to Australia?
.Hi, I have just joined Scotland.com and seen your post, so not sure if it will still be active. I have recently discovered that I have two distant relations who went to Australia. They were two children of Peter Aitken and Elizabeth Kerr. Peter Aitken is my 4x Great Grandfather. The children who went to Australia were John Aitken born 11th October 1829 and died in Australia on
20th September 1908, also Alexander Aitken born October 21st 1832 died in Australia 17th April 1916.
Both John and Alexander were born in Stranraer Scotland. Their other siblings were
David 1825-1899
Elizabeth 1827-1909
Peter 1831-1919
Andrew 1834-Died 9 months
Margret Agnew1836-1919
Agnes 1839-1914
Hugh Alexander 1840-1928
William 1842 Died 9 months
James Bennet 1846

All of Peter and Margaretís children were born in Stranraer. David died in Gourock Scotland and Peter died in Edinburgh all the remaining children died in Stranraer Scotland.

The above information came from Peter Aitkens family bible
If any of this ties in with your research I would love to hear from you.
Best Wishes
Sally