Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

Douglas, Blaikie, Rutherford families of Edinburgh

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:23

Question Douglas, Blaikie, Rutherford families of Edinburgh

Hi all I'm having a little trouble with my Scottish ancestry.
I was on Scotspeople a few days ago saving a few B and M to look at later.
My 3 times great grandmother an Isobella Rutherford was born around 1794 somewhere in Midlothian unable to find birth but did find marriage, she married a Henry Porter also born 1794 in England though his ancestry are from Scottish.
Henry Porter was a printer by trade and from 34 Fountainbridge Edinburgh.
Isobella porter died 1819 from palsy.
From Isobella and Henry's marriage lists her father as William Rutherford a mason and deceased by 1816.
Isobella and Henry were married at St Cuthberts witnesses were a John Rutherford a brother or uncle perhaps? And John Glass a printer.
I have no info on William Rutherford at the moment.
I do have his marriage to Margaret Douglas 22.6.1792 St Cuthberts again I think pity the marriage does not list the grooms parents.
Margaret Douglas christened 23.3.1764 in Liberton daughter of Roderick/Rodrick Douglas he was a gentleman servant of Tolbooth parish kirk and Margaret was also living in the area by the marriage info.
I cannot find Margaret Douglas's birth, Christening on Scotspeople.
Anyway Margaret's mother was a Margaret Blaikie, Blaickie, Blarkie etc daughter of Alexander Blaikie a Journeyman.
On the marriage her name is listed as Margaret on her daughter's christening both Margaret and Marion are down.
The Margaret Blaikie was chris 1732 Dalkeith to Alexander Blaikie and Mary Dundas.
Alexander was a miller by trade and his wife was the daughter of David Dundas a merchant.
Marion Blaikie chris 15.10.1747 in Dalkeith to Alexander Blaickie and Mary Carfrae.
The Alexander Blaikie and Mary Dundas marriage was 13.6.1729 and Margaret was born 1732.
My confusion is which one is she?
Roderick Douglas and Margaret Blaikie were married 1763 I haven't applied for Marion's baptism etc at the moment.
Can anyone help me find out more?
AvonGirl