Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

The Leiths from Aberdeenshire

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30th April 2012, 14:15

The Leiths from Aberdeenshire

Hi to all!
Due to some hard work by a relative unknown, I have traced my Leith family back to the 1420's, Leith of Edingarrock (spelling I think should be Edengarioch?). Different trees show us related to John of Leith Hall.
Are there any others Leiths on this board? Would love to talk with anyone with knowledge of this side of my mom's family. And find out what clan we are from.
Thanks!
Lauri
Old 30th April 2012, 18:56

Hello, I'm afraid I'm not a Leith and most of the membership here are not Scots - it's an American-owned board - although there are a few of us still here!

Leith is the old port town near Edinburgh (now part of the city) and Edinburgh children (like me) were told that it meant 'broad river'.

Not all names are part of a clan, or were even sept to a clan. Doesn't mean Leith wasn't a clan, I have no information that I can give on that matter.

Have you tried looking at Rampant Scotland Directory It's a Scottish-owned site with lots of name history and clan histories, too. Another that I am less keen to recommend is Electric Scotland is all about the history of Scotland and the Scots. This site admits that it doesn't check any information that is submitted, but just publishes 'as is'...

Hope someone else can give you a little more help than I have been able to do. Good luck with your research.
Please do not assume that any underlined links in my posts are MY recommendations. They are not. It is this American site taking advantage of members' posts about Scotland to boost their advertising revenue.
Old 30th April 2012, 19:59

Thank you

Hi Polwarth
Thank you for the heads up!
I know the Leiths I'm looking for we're from Udny,
And I am really looking forward to seeing Scotland soon.
I'm guessing a lot of us Americans are looking for our roots.
While I am American, there is a quarter Scots, A quarter Irish, quarter German
And quarter Lithuanian. Found my Irish and German, and never will find the Lithuanian, so can't wait to find my Scots!
If everyone is as friendly as you, I am in for some good times!
Best regards,
Lauri
Old 30th April 2012, 22:44
Quarantined Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastbaby View Post
Hi to all!
Due to some hard work by a relative unknown, I have traced my Leith family back to the 1420's, Leith of Edingarrock (spelling I think should be Edengarioch?). Different trees show us related to John of Leith Hall.
Are there any others Leiths on this board? Would love to talk with anyone with knowledge of this side of my mom's family. And find out what clan we are from.
Thanks!
Lauri
Lauri ,
check out these pages

Quote:
The name Leith is commonly thought to have originated from the De Leyth family who moved from France to Scotland in the Fourteenth Century. Landing in the Port of Leith, it is agreed that the family took the Scottish name from the small port villiage. The first Leith was William Leith of Barnis, who was the Provost of Aberdeen in 1350.

The Leiths once held vast lands in Midlothian. The decendents of William Leith of Barnis had acquired and held at various times the lands of Edingarrock, Kirkton de Rain, and New Leslie, on which Leith Hall was built. Palaces and Castles that at one time were under the control of various Leiths include Leith Hall, Leslie Hall and Fyvie Castle.

These pages contain the ongoing research into the history of the Leith Clan as a whole; however, the family tree focuses on the lineage of James Leith of Aberdeenshire, Scotland to the Leiths of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, their ancestors and offspring.

Genealogy of the Leith Clan
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:31

The Leiths

Hi Duthill,
This site was very interesting, thank you.
The family story goes that three brothers left Scotland and when they arrived in Canada, there was an out break of small pox and the ship was quarantined. The three brothers jumped ship and one brother drowned. The other two split up, one staying in Canada and the other finding his way to Iowa. The Iowa family is my side. In Scotland they were toll takers in Udny.
Is fascinating the stories you can find!
I have a feeling we might have been the poor Leiths!
Thanks again for replying. I cannot wait to get to Aberdeenshire and wander around.
I am in Connecticut and if anyone needs research in this area I will be happy to help!
Regards
Lauri
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:26
Quarantined Users

Cheers .

You might find this site interesting

GenForum - Surnames.