Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

Milligan Wills

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4th November 2011, 18:45

Question Milligan Wills

Hi, I am trying to trace my Scottish Family in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
My Grandmother was a WW1 warbride. She (Agnes Milligan) was born about 1895.
She married Mathewson Alexander during WW1 and immigrated to Canada in 1918.

She was the youngest of five children born to John Milligan born about 1870, a shoemaker and Agnes Wills born about 1858.

1. Mary Milligan born about 1882.

2. Ann Milligan born about 1885 who immigrated to Canada and married John McInall

3. Elizabeth Milligan born about 1887.

4. John Wills Milligan, born 1889, who immigrated to Canada with his wife Margaret Dale Grant, born 1891 and child Jane (Jean) born 1914. Jane married John Baird Whicher.

When Agnes became aware that she was pregnant in 1919 her parents and young John and his family came to Canada to assist her in her new home and immigrated. She had a daughter named Margaret Helen Alexander.

I have acquired information that Ann came later as well. I do not have any information on the remaining siblings other than a faint recollection that she returned to visit Glasgow on several occasions.

I am trying to trace any remaining family in Glasgow as well as any records of her marriage and birth in Glasgow Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 4th November 2011, 21:17

Hello

Have you looked at the General Register Office of Scotland's site, now re-named as Scotlandspeople?

They hold all births,deaths, marriages and some Old Parish Records, too.
Whilst the service is not free (I seem to recall that some of it may be,but not all) - as long as you marshall your questions, the service is good value for money!

Scottish family history search Census birth records scotland genealogy - ScotlandsPeople
Old 13th February 2014, 17:24

Smile Milligan - Wills

Yes I have looked into Scotlands People site. It costs alot of money and unless you have alot of info to start you can end up paying mega funds without getting any valuable info! I want to connect with family over there, please.

Hello everyone, I am trying to connect with family in Scotland. My Grandmothers' maiden name was Milligan. In 1901 her family lived in 350 London Rd., Bridgeton, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. She immigrated to Canada in 1919. She left behind sisters Mary and Elizabeth. Her Mothers' name was Agnes Wills. Please contact me if can help in anyway!
Old 13th February 2014, 23:16

Surely you have enough info to at least know where your Granny's family lived?

three years ago, I tried to help.

Try a search of the electoral rolls in Glasgow Council. You have names, an address and dates....
Old 15th February 2014, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisadams26 View Post
Yes I have looked into Scotlands People site. It costs alot of money and unless you have alot of info to start you can end up paying mega funds without getting any valuable info! I want to connect with family over there, please.

Hello everyone, I am trying to connect with family in Scotland. My Grandmothers' maiden name was Milligan. In 1901 her family lived in 350 London Rd., Bridgeton, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. She immigrated to Canada in 1919. She left behind sisters Mary and Elizabeth. Her Mothers' name was Agnes Wills. Please contact me if can help in anyway!
You seem to have quite a bit of valuable info on your ancestry. com tree. I am a member also and went there to do a some searching for you, and found your tree.

Genealogy is an expensive business at times I agree. I have been researching my Scottish family for quite some time now, and spent quite a bit of money, but it pays off eventually. I have also learned to search smartly and save money. Scotlandspeople is a great resource and doesn't have to cost a huge amount to use. I pay $11 US for 30 credits. Polwarth's advice on searching electoral rolls would be worth pursuing. I would suggest trying to find marriages for Mary and Elizabeth to the Rankin and Bell you have listed on your tree.