Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

Buchanan-Perthshire, Scotland to America

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th June 2011, 16:39

Buchanan-Perthshire, Scotland to America

I am researching my forefathers from Scotland to America. My ggg-grandfather was William Marion Gray Buchanan, born 1795 either in Scotland or Pennsylvania, USA and was married to a woman by the last name of Fletcher. His father was said to be William, born in the 1730's in Perthshire, Scotland and when he came to America,two brothers showed up to. Their names were Alexander and Archibald Buchanan.
I would like to find for sure if William M.G. was born in America or in Scotland and I would like to find out about my family in Scotland. I am Scottish, Irish, Cherokee and Choctaw and my Little English heritage is minimal and I like it that way.(What can I say, I'm very outspoken.)
I would appreciate any help that I could get and would like to get in touch with some of my relatives in Scotland and Ireland so that we could correspond.
Thank you,
John E. Austin (Email- mycrowseyes@yahoo.com)
Old 17th June 2011, 21:52

Hello
It is usually easier to trace back your family from where you presently live - if you can trace back the first immigrant to your country, you could then look at ship passenger lists to find that ancestor.

The 'sticky' at the top of this part of the forum is very helpful. Scotsite has put a lot of info on there to help foreigners trace back family to Scotland.
The GRO in Scotland holds all the records that are still available. The service is not free, but if you marshall the questions, it doesn't cost too much!
Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople
Please do not assume that any underlined links in my posts are MY recommendations. They are not. It is this American site taking advantage of members' posts about Scotland to boost their advertising revenue.
Old 18th June 2011, 04:59

Hello?

What are you talking about? What you posted makes no sense to me what-so-ever. It looks to me is that you completely avoided my question.
Thanks you very much for nothing,
John E.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:37

I'm sorry that you feel I have been unhelpful.

1 I merely suggested that you would might find details of your ancestry via the main Scottish site, the General Register Office, aka 'Scotlandspeople'. I also intimated that whilst the service isn't free, if you ensured you had a few questions to hand, it would not be an expensive service. Of course, it depends on whether you have the info to hand, and it sounds as though you may not have enough to do a relevant search.

2 I also suggested that you look at the sticky at the top of the page - where a lot of useful info regarding HOW to trace family has been assembled.

I don't really know what else you expected. Sharing a common name doesn't make you part of a specific family, only tracing ancestry will do that.

Now, if you STILL don't understand what I'm saying.......
Please do not assume that any underlined links in my posts are MY recommendations. They are not. It is this American site taking advantage of members' posts about Scotland to boost their advertising revenue.