Go Back   Scotland Discussion Forum > Culture > Genealogy

Notices

Looking for Forbes's!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th November 2010, 10:51

Looking for Forbes's!!

Hi - I am looking for help to trace my family tree. My Grandfather's name is Alexander Charles Forbes B1908 in York and and my great grandfather of the same name was born in Aberdeen in 1870 - all were railway porters. My great great grandfather was Adam Forbes who was born in Aberdeen ( chapel of Garioch) - any leads will be most welcome -

Cheers

Stephen Forbes
Old 10th November 2010, 14:10

Steve, there's a thread on Rootschat on Aberdeenshire Forbes', click-Forum-Scotland-Aberdeenshire.

wullie
Old 21st November 2010, 14:36

1st cousin once removed.

Hi Steve,
A.C. Forbes (Alick) born 1908 in York was my uncle and A. C. Forbes born 1872 was my grandfather, beyond thet Adam Forbes born 1839 was married to Ellen Mitchell born 1846. His father Alexander Forbes born 1792 married Margaret Reid. His father Alexander Forbes born 1761 married Elspet Duncan. Beyond these I come up against a brick wall. there are so many forbes in Scotland and half seem to be called Alexander.
If this gets to you please come back on as I feel we have so much info to share with each other.

regards Maryrose.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:56

Gravestone

Hi Steve, I am back . I have been waiting for you to come on to the site again.
Did you know your grandfathers Grave stone is on the www,gravestone.com Site I found it there a while ago.
Also I have your great grand mother Paulina's family going back posibly into the 1600's.(not documented)
I last saw your Grandfather at your Great grand mothers funeral, when I was very young, and although my mother(your grand fathers sister) kept in touch with him,after she died I am afraid we all lost touch.
I wait with anticipation.
Maryrose.
Old 7th December 2010, 17:52

1881 census

Hi Steve,

This looks like your family listed in the 1881 census index:

Adam FORBES M 42 M Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Railway Signalman
Ellen FORBES M 35 F Scotland
Rel: Wife
Margaret A. FORBES 14 F Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
William J. FORBES 12 M Scotland
Rel: Son
Alexander C. FORBES 9 M Scotland
Rel: Son
Helen Eliza FORBES 5 F York, York, England
Rose FORBES 3 F Acomb, York, England
Thomas WARD U 33 M Selby, York, England
Rel: Boarder
Occ: Engine Driver

Their address was Dwelling: 53 Milner Street, Acomb, York, England (PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4323 Folio 15)

From looking at the children's birth dates, you can deduce that Adam & Ellen moved south between 1871 and 1876.

You should be able to find a birth certificate (and download a digital copy) for Alexander if you register at Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople - it will cost you a minimum of 6 for 30 credits, which should be enough to find and download several different certificates. Alexander's birth. cert will give you a date for his parents' marriage (which isn't guaranteed to be 100% correct, I should warn you). This should enable you to find their marriage certificate, which will give their parents' names, confirm ages, etc.

It's also possible to search for census records on the ScotlandsPeople site.

If you're counting the pennies, you could get free SP credits (20, I think) by registering to receive a newsletter from Genealogy in Scotland: Find Scottish Ancestors, Scottish Surnames and Clans - Ancestral Scotland 2010

Good luck with your search!
Old 24th September 2011, 15:03

Forbes Chapel of Garioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrose View Post
Hi Steve,
A.C. Forbes (Alick) born 1908 in York was my uncle and A. C. Forbes born 1872 was my grandfather, beyond thet Adam Forbes born 1839 was married to Ellen Mitchell born 1846. His father Alexander Forbes born 1792 married Margaret Reid. His father Alexander Forbes born 1761 married Elspet Duncan. Beyond these I come up against a brick wall. there are so many forbes in Scotland and half seem to be called Alexander.
If this gets to you please come back on as I feel we have so much info to share with each other.

regards Maryrose.
Hi Mary Rose
My Husbands family come from the Forbes from Chapel of Garioch. The furtherest I can go back in John Forbes b. approx. 1760. John was married to Isobel Clarke 20/11/1784. That was a week earlier than Alexander Forbes and Elspet Duncan married. Alexander lived in Whiteford and John lived in Durno only 1/2 a mile away in the Parish of C of G. I have had a theory that they are very closely related, even brothers. I too have hit a brick wall and can't find a John's Father. John had two children Alexander b. 1785 he married Mary Ross. and Margaret 1790 (she married a Roberstson).
There is a grave is in the Logie Durno cemetary where Alexander & Margaret Reid & Family are buried.
If you have any further information that could help me I would appreciate it.
Thanks Ann Forbes
Old 24th September 2011, 15:13

Hi Mary Rose
My Husbands's Family come from C of G. My furtherest ancestor was John Forbes b. approx. 1760. He married Isobel Clarke on 20/11/1784. That was just a week before Alexander F married Elspet Duncan. John lived in Durno and Alexander in Whiteford just 1/2 a mile away in the parish of C of G. John had two children Alexander F who married Mary Ross, and Margaret who married a Robertson.
I have had a theory for quite sometime that your Alexander and John are closely related even Brothers.
Alexander who married Margaret Reid are buried along with some of their children in the cemetary Logie Durno.
If you have come across any more information of your Family I would appreicate it.
Thanks Ann Forbes